All "R" Farms...

welcome-byc.gif
Glad you joined us!

Feel free to ask lots of questions! We're all here to help.
smile.png

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. A lot of us were lurkers before joining. :eek:) I'm a chicken person and don't know much about ducks (although I've had a few), but I have to admit that ducklings are the ultimate in cute. If you need to get in touch with our duck experts, just post on our duck section at https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/42/ducks. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. What kind of hens do you have?
I have 2 Ameracaunas, 2 Buff Orpingtons, an Austrolorp (I love the way she looks like she has a petticoat on!), a Rhode Island Red, a Leghorn, and a Cuckoo Maran.

I have 2 Ameracaunas, 2 Buff Orpingtons, an Austrolorp (I love the way she looks like she has a petticoat on!), a Rhode Island Red, a Leghorn, and a Cuckoo Maran.

I would love to see a pic of your Australorp. I'll bet she is beautiful. They are my favorite standard breed; extremely hardy, calm and gentle (my children, and now my granddaugher, made lap pets of ours), and excellent layers of large brown eggs. Good luck with your flock.

...and excellent layers of large brown eggs. Good luck with your flock.
I'll post some when it is a nice bright day and we can see all of her sheen. I hope she is a good layer. She is my only non-laying mature hen right now. The RIR is the same age and has been laying for a bit more than a week. I'm excited to see her eggs. We have a colorful egg basket for sure.

~Trampswife

I'll post some when it is a nice bright day and we can see all of her sheen. I hope she is a good layer. She is my only non-laying mature hen right now. The RIR is the same age and has been laying for a bit more than a week. I'm excited to see her eggs. We have a colorful egg basket for sure.

~Trampswife

I've had both breeds, and Black Australorps are a little slower to mature than RIRs, and usually don't start laying quite as early. However when she does start laying, not only will she likely outlay your RIR, but she will have a longer laying life. In fact, my Australorps have typically had the longest laying life of any of the dozens of breeds I've had over the past 50 years (Orpingtons are close but not as prolific layers as Australorps).

Back
Top Bottom