All Six Hens Are Gone. What Killed Them?

I had a raccoon kill 18 of my young 12 week old chicks. My hubby caught the momma because she couldn't get back in after we put chicken wire over the top of the run after that but then the next night she came back with her 3 kids and he watched them squeeze through a little 6" square opening. They got 4 more before he could get in to stop the carnage. I have 4 left out of 26 chickens. I cried most of the day and I am still devastated. Not sure I want to get anymore chicks. Like they did it just for fun. Didn't eat them, just took their heads off and left their bodies. 😭😭😭
Any advice on more protection is welcome. Electric fence maybe is all I can think of.

I had a raccoon kill 18 of my young 12 week old chicks. My hubby caught the momma because she couldn't get back in after we put chicken wire over the top of the run after that but then the next night she came back with her 3 kids and he watched them squeeze through a little 6" square opening. They got 4 more before he could get in to stop the carnage. I have 4 left out of 26 chickens. I cried most of the day and I am still devastated. Not sure I want to get anymore chicks. Like they did it just for fun. Didn't eat them, just took their heads off and left their bodies. 😭😭😭
I’m sorry 😞

Any advice on more protection is welcome. Electric fence maybe is all I can think of.
they bite the heads off because it is nutritious to them. Need smaller than 6 inch. 1 inch except on bottom couple feet if not higher. 1/2 inch hardware cloth.
Electric fence wire about 4 to 6 inch off ground will keep them away.
If you have big enough opening on bottom the raccoon will reach in grab chickens pull them and eat the heads.
Raccoon will travel in day also if hungry enough and know there is a meal.
Raccoons are very crafty and persistent.
I have had my rounds with them.
Sorry for your loss.

Just a note electric fence will work as long as there is nothing around pen or coop they can climb on to get around the electric fence.

I only free range older hens after waiting 2 yrs to start .I keep my chicks and pullets locked up so predators can't kill all my chickens if they show up. I free range mine at random times and not every day .I rarely let mine out early or leave them out late. The less they're out the less likely a predator finds them. Sorry for your loss!

they bite the heads off because it is nutritious to them. Need smaller than 6 inch. 1 inch except on bottom couple feet if not higher. 1/2 inch hardware cloth.
Electric fence wire about 4 to 6 inch off ground will keep them away.
If you have big enough opening on bottom the raccoon will reach in grab chickens pull them and eat the heads.
Raccoon will travel in day also if hungry enough and know there is a meal.
Raccoons are very crafty and persistent.
I have had my rounds with them.
Sorry for your loss.

Just a note electric fence will work as long as there is nothing around pen or coop they can climb on to get around the electric fence.
I had chickens year ago and never had a problem except an owl tried to pick a hen up. Of course then raccoons were hunted for their fur. Now we are overrun with the little buggers. They destroyed our sweet corn crop a few years ago. I appreciate your advice. Thanks so much!

I would suspect racoons though a game camera will help identify what is visiting. I live in upstate SC, too, and have skunks, foxes, raccoon, feral cats and opossums visit my coops. Electric wire keeps my chickens safe at night. Sorry for your loss.
I hope to get a electric fence up soon! They're a bit more complicated than putting a regular fence up but offer a lot more protection!

Back
Top Bottom