All the basics of backyard chicken butchering.

CammieSilkie

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jul 29, 2010
Massachusetts
Hey, i have a coop for 7 and a flock of 5 with 5 baby chicks on the way!! One of my hens, Frank, has been sitting on them for almost 3 weeks now!
big_smile.png
Well, we can't handle another rooster, so we were thinking, if we get any roosters we could put them on the dinner table! I'm 13 and after researching ALL about varying forms of animal abuse, including the chicken industry, I'm vegan. Well, sort of. I ONLY eat eggs from my own chickens, or from local farms with happy chickens. As with chicken meat, ham, and cattle + dairy products. I just hate the way they're treated, I'm hoping to join compassion/killing when im old enough, going to the arctic to save narwhals, helping out at animal shelters, etc. but thats not the point. I know i have a soft spot in my heart for my pretty pet chickens, but I think it'd be a good idea to raise my own meat birds. i'm the only one who knows anything about chickens in the family, im the one who encouraged us to get them + take care of them. unfortunately, i don't know how to process my own chickens, when to do it, if its even acceptable to use my type of bird, all that stuff. if someone could guide me through it, or even give me a site where i could be guided through it, it would help a lot.
cool.png

p.s. i don't think i could do it, i'd have my dad to the butchering and i could pluck feathers or something.
hmm.png

p.p.s. I have home raised, free-range bantam silkies. don't Chinese people use them in tasty soups? aren't blue chickens delicacies there?
tongue.png

Narwals, narwals swimming in the ocean causing a commotion, 'cause they are so awesome!

Not everyone can handle the processing aspect of chickens; don't feel bad about it. It's good though, that you're concerned enough, at your age, to want to raise your own food--and are doing it!

Back
Top Bottom