1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

All these different numbers!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by OPPT, Mar 8, 2016.

1. OPPT

OPPT Out Of The Brooder

Mar 3, 2016
    New Jersey
    That's great! How many eggs do you have incubating? Have you candled them yet?

2. candaceb

candaceb Out Of The Brooder

Mar 1, 2016
    Mine go on lockdown tonight but this is my first set and only have five left due to temp problems at the beginning I've candled but I can only see movement in one but I'm hoping that's just because the other 4 are blue and deeper brown

3. OPPT

OPPT Out Of The Brooder

Mar 3, 2016
    New Jersey
    Only a couple more days for you! I sure hope it works out. Do you already have adult chickens? Did you get the eggs from a hatchery, or are they your own?

4. candaceb

Mar 1, 2016
    They are our own eggs we have 3 buff orpingtons they lay brown eggs and 3 "amaracauna" that's what they were sold to is as they lay bluish eggs and my brother in law has an American game rooster that practically lives with our hens he roosts in his own coop one of my broody buff orpingtons hatched 2 chicks a couple days ago and my next set I am going to try and get local hatching eggs and try some from trader Joe's sprouts or whole foods if I can find fertile eggs the hatching bug has definitely got me lol

5. candaceb

Mar 1, 2016
    We got our "chicken ladies" as they are called here lol last spring as 3 day olds they started laying toward the middle of winter I would say. Incubating is a way for me to share with family and increase my egg laying flock I don't know if I Can sell or trade my chicks here since they are mixed I don't have enough for that yet anyhow lol

6. twisted weaver

twisted weaver Out Of The Brooder

Nov 29, 2015
    Windsor VT
    How did week 2 go? It is so funny reading about all the issues with humidity,rotation and such. My Liverpudlian grandmother hatched eggs turning them by a wood stove...

7. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    In reality, the name of science has complicated everything that used to be simple. Along with making people "afraid" to experience their hatches.

8. OPPT

OPPT Out Of The Brooder

Mar 3, 2016
    New Jersey
    I'm sitting here in shock because I just did the day 14 candling, and there was a live moving chick in all 13 eggs!! I guess the temp and humidity that I was so worried about have been okay so far. Now I have another question. Because of my work schedule, I will either have to put them in lockdown a few hours into day 18, or a few hours into day 19. What's the better course of action? Any pre lock down tips?
    Candaceb, how did your hatch go?

9. beetandsteet

beetandsteet Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2015
    SE Texas
    Few hours into day 18. Glad to hear your hatch is going well!!! :)

10. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    I would do day 18 if the air cells are good, some people do day 19. I tend to have my first action on day 19, so I like to be prepared.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by