All these feathers!!!

No they shouldn't be eating layer feed. My suggestion would be to switch everyone to a 18%-20% flock raiser or all flock with free choice grit and oyster shell on the side, you'll never have to play the food swap game again because everyone from chicks to roosters can eat it.
Question on Oyster shell on the side. OMG it's like crack to my RIR. I was dolling it out daily because it is so expensive and everytime I pulled out the box; the chicken went literally nuts stepping over each other to get the flakes i laid out in the feeding area. Is this normal? I'm not sure I can leave it out for gratuitous eating as they seem to go a lot bit of nuts in eating it.

Just about the same here, 7 wk. chicks, year old brahmas, and some older girls getting ready to. Mama hen got taken by coyote, but she was beginning to molt.
I'm sorry about your hen.
Same here!!! Even the two 11wk old.. my hens are 18months old too.. I guess this is their first real molt. Feathers all over!! I have everyone on chick feed and mixed layer feed in another feeder. I don’t think the chicks should be eating too much layer feed? Too much calcium or something. Please correct me if I’m wrong
I’m wondering if any indication of a harsher winter?
I was wondering that too. We are in the high 90s this week. Mine usually don't start molt until October and November.
I don't ever use layer feed. I use a flock raiser feed for new hatch to adults. I keep oyster shell out all the time in separate containers.
Question on Oyster shell on the side. OMG it's like crack to my RIR. I was dolling it out daily because it is so expensive and everytime I pulled out the box; the chicken went literally nuts stepping over each other to get the flakes i laid out in the feeding area. Is this normal? I'm not sure I can leave it out for gratuitous eating as they seem to go a lot bit of nuts in eating it.

I use small pet select brand flaked oyster shell. They eat more of that than they did the cheap brands. I have better quality egg shells now. And no longer have any problems with egg binding. I had a hen who had frequent problems, but she hasn't had this problem since I switched.

Are their eggs shells same as oyster shell? l…I do both in a mix tray
Both is fine, the oyster shell is better, lasts longer in the gizzard.

Expensive?
I buy a 50# bag every other year, costs about $10-20.
(used to be $10, but everything has gone up in price the last couple years)
They may be gorging on it if they have no access to granite grit for digestion in the gizzard. What all and how exactly are you feeding?
Do they free range or what's in the run ground?

1663687108351.png

Last edited:
Not so many feathers flying around yet with only 2-3 girls molting seriously (plus a tailless rooster), but a sad deficiency of eggs.

Are their eggs shells same as oyster shell? l…I do both in a mix tray

Giving them their eggshells back is good, but they need more than just that.

I buy the 50# bag of oystershell (actually marked "calcium grit) for only a little more money than the 10# bag.

..... Oyster shell on the side. ...... it is so expensive .....
Where are you getting yours? I buy a 50-lb bag from our feed store, maybe $12, lasts me a couple of years with 50+ chickens. I did a quick search: For a 5-lb bag, I found Walmart and Petco have it for less than $9. Tractor Supply carries a 50-lb bag for $14.99, and 5-lbs for $7.49.

Where are you getting yours? I buy a 50-lb bag from our feed store, maybe $12, lasts me a couple of years with 50+ chickens. I did a quick search: For a 5-lb bag, I found Walmart and Petco have it for less than $9. Tractor Supply carries a 50-lb bag for $14.99, and 5-lbs for $7.49.

Yeah. The trick is to buy the big bag. :D

Ok and it's not so much the expense but the Crack like behavior exhibited by the hens when they eat it. Have you experienced anything like that?

Back
Top Bottom