All these feathers!!!

BarnyardChaos

Free Ranging
7 Years
Apr 23, 2017
Richmond, MO
OMG every time I check on the birds, the feather layer gets deeper and deeper! It looks like a few pillows exploded in the run and coop. They're blowing all over the yard, into the garden, across the driveway.... I even found feathers in the garage! Not to mention how they show up in the laundry, sweeping the floor, in the vacuum cleaner - next I'll be picking them out of dinner plates!

Soon the birds will be naked, or at least look like they've just come from a very BAD hairstylist. About 1/3 of my flock (25 +/-) are going into their first 18-month molt. Another third, their annual fall molt. The rest are chicks, going through juvenile molt. Everybody all at once! I expect to get lots of good molt pictures this year!

How is the molting going in your flock?

Last edited:
You must have a lot of chickens! I only have 10 chickens, and they don't all molt at the same time, so I never had to deal with too many feathers. I leave the feathers in the coop and/or run. The chickens will either eat them if needed, or the feathers will turn into compost. From what I understand, feathers are a great source of protein, and great for composting, so if you have feathers flying all over the place, I'd collect them up and put them in a compost bin.

My 18 month olds are just starting ;) one is just finishing as she hatched chicks at the end of July. And then the babies (7 weeks) are going through I think what might be their final juvenile molt. So just starting til look like a pillow fight here!
Just about the same here, 7 wk. chicks, year old brahmas, and some older girls getting ready to. Mama hen got taken by coyote, but she was beginning to molt.

OMG every time I check on the birds, the feather layer gets deeper and deeper! It looks like a few pillows exploded in the run and coop. They're blowing all over the yard, into the garden, across the driveway.... I even found feathers in the garage! Not to mention how they show up in the laundry, sweeping the floor, in the vacuum cleaner - next I'll be picking them out of dinner plates!

Soon the birds will be naked, or at least look like they've just come from a very BAD hairstylist. About 1/3 of my flock (25 +/-) are going into their first 18-month molt. Another third, their annual fall molt. The rest are chicks, going through juvenile molt. Everybody all at once! I expect to get lots of good molt pictures this year!

Same here. My poor birds look half naked

Same here!!! Even the two 11wk old.. my hens are 18months old too.. I guess this is their first real molt. Feathers all over!! I have everyone on chick feed and mixed layer feed in another feeder. I don’t think the chicks should be eating too much layer feed? Too much calcium or something. Please correct me if I’m wrong
I’m wondering if any indication of a harsher winter?

Last edited:
Same here!!! Even the two 11wk old.. my hens are 18months old too.. I guess this is their first real molt. Feathers all over!! I have everyone on chick feed and mixed layer feed in another feeder. I don’t thick the chicks should be eating too much layer feed? Too much calcium or something. Please correct me if I’m wrong
No they shouldn't be eating layer feed. My suggestion would be to switch everyone to a 18%-20% flock raiser or all flock with free choice grit and oyster shell on the side, you'll never have to play the food swap game again because everyone from chicks to roosters can eat it.

Same here, so many feathers floating around. Mine do not usually molt this early.
I have upped the protein. Sardines, scrambled eggs at least 1x per week. Mine are eating Kalmbach 20% flock maker. I have around 50ish chicks, juveniles, and adults, from 6 weeks to 7 years old. Rehoming some of the cockerels soon, so I should be down to 40ish by spring.

Same here!!! Even the two 11wk old.. my hens are 18months old too.. I guess this is their first real molt. Feathers all over!! I have everyone on chick feed and mixed layer feed in another feeder. I don’t thick the chicks should be eating too much layer feed? Too much calcium or something. Please correct me if I’m wrong
I'd store the layer feed away until your chicks are grown (I had to, and I have 300 pounds of it!). Everyone can eat chick starter, or like @Auntiejessi3 said above, it's better to put everyone on an all-flock or flock-raiser feed for as long as you intend to have chicks and/or roosters, with oyster shell on the side.

As I've been educated on this forum, too much calcium in chicks and roosters can lead to organ damage later on. But it is up for debate. Here's one thread arguing the pros and cons, if you care to read in-depth and do your own research:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/is-too-much-calcium-bad.352503/

Back
Top Bottom