All things Vintage thread - Antiques, music & more!

I am not at all familiar with dishware, but I looked up images of Corelle dishes are they are beautiful! It must be exciting to discover new pieces. Do you use the dishware, or just collect it to display?

I love exploring antique malls. I have visited several on trips to Arizona and Texas. I've also been to some smaller stores in the Bay Area, CA. The town of Niles in Fremont has quite a bounty of them.

I find old educational material, particularly for children, quite interesting too. I have an elementary school primer from the '60's, a 1944 "Basic Mathermatics" manual from the War Department, a little French primer called "Six Contes Choisis," and an old French plant and flower ID guide. Vintage children's poetry books are perhaps my favorite, though. I should take a closer look at all the books I have. Too often I purchase something and then never take proper advantage of all it has to offer.
I set aside some of those pieces I picked that were brand new and have them to use. I am very picky about the patterns of Corelle I like, and this set is called "Spring Blossom" Green. Often times the patterns were compatible with a set of Pyrex (different pattern name but pattern is similar) - I have bread/butter plates in that pattern, but want to find some nice plates and bowls to match. I have picked Woodland Brown and Old Town Blue pattern pieces before - I love Old Town Blue. Tree Bird, Winding Gate, and Harvest Home are pretty.

I also grew up with my Grandmother having some old Tienshan coffee mugs and I'm hoping to collect some like what she had.

My recent book pick is 'READING - LITERATURE FIRST READER FREE AND TREADWELL ROW, PETERSON & CO" - (1911) - lots of children's stories and rhymes within

My house was built in 1920 also! My hubby and I are redoing the upstairs and are trying to use as much decor and things from 1920 that we can. It's hard to find stuff though
I was lucky to find a lot on eBay way back when we bought the house in 2002. It's harder these days to find genuine antiques and not reproductions.
Chicken cookie jars? I would love to see some pictures!

Old cookbooks are really interesting. I just have one from 1929 titled "Good Meals and How to Prepare Them" from the Good Housekeeping Institute. I'll have to try some recipes from it sometime. I once read part of a transcript of an 1824 cookbook that, under a section called "Culinary Curiosities," quoted a truly horrific passage from a 1661 book called "Eighteen Books of the Secrets of Art and Nature." I tracked it down on Google Books and found it. You may click on the spoiler if you dare read how "To rost a Goose alive." ☠️

As for the music, I completely agree. Without Youtube and CDs I would be limited to the radio, and most of the stations are not at all to my taste. It is wonderful that there are people of Youtube who make old recordings available for us all to hear. We have a Big Band radio station a few cities over, but it is very small and usually the reception is not very good.
Roasting a goose alive is horrifying. There are 2 women who blog about the colonial recipes they recreate. Some of them are good; I made a delicious carrot pie.

There are 2 women who blog about the colonial recipes they recreate. Some of them are good; I made a delicious carrot pie.
Carrot pie sounds delicious. I will look for the blog.
I was lucky to find a lot on eBay way back when we bought the house in 2002. It's harder these days to find genuine antiques and not reproductions.
Yes, there are reproductions of seemingly everything these days!

My recent book pick is 'READING - LITERATURE FIRST READER FREE AND TREADWELL ROW, PETERSON & CO" - (1911) - lots of children's stories and rhymes within
Is it this one?
https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=hvd.32044097069074&view=1up&seq=1
I set aside some of those pieces I picked that were brand new and have them to use. I am very picky about the patterns of Corelle I like, and this set is called "Spring Blossom" Green. Often times the patterns were compatible with a set of Pyrex (different pattern name but pattern is similar) - I have bread/butter plates in that pattern, but want to find some nice plates and bowls to match. I have picked Woodland Brown and Old Town Blue pattern pieces before - I love Old Town Blue. Tree Bird, Winding Gate, and Harvest Home are pretty.
I looked up each one. My favorites are Old Town Blue (nice designs), Winding Gate (very striking), and Harvest Home (I like the color).

Back
Top Bottom