All things Vintage thread - Antiques, music & more!

Pics
AntiqueB I have an encyclopedia I think it was...some older book that was used to define and give examples of things at the time. Can’t recall what it was exactly but I’ll pull it off the shelf today. There are black and white photos inside, and one shows the fire department still using horse drawn engines!
I used to have some very old school textbooks from early 1900s but unfortunately they were lost to a fire. But yes, comparing those to school texts on the same level now is interesting!

I will post some fun photos of the inside of them later.

Just scored FINALLY on some Corelle “Spring Blossom” (70s to 80s range) plates! I picked up some bread and butter “saucer” style little plates a few years ago in the same pattern- local hardware store had BOXES of them unopened and I managed to buy a 4 set for $2 per box. Plates are sold often at antique shops and they want way too much for them. I picked some other Corelle bread and butter plates the other day from this same thrift store- can’t remember pattern off hand but I can wait to find their matches. I went to the same thrift store today and found a giant stack of Spring Blossom plates - 15 of them total, almost look brand new and in great shape. I absolutely LOVE Corelle and I am so happy to finally have matching dishes. This set is so perfect for our cabin- now to find bowls and glasses to match!

A5369797-C203-43BE-8684-0E490CD227A3.jpeg 0EC02F67-25D0-472F-9D6D-F96554D518DA.jpeg

Anyone else love history, antiques, and music of the past? There are so many rabbit holes one can dive into! Come join this thread to discuss interesting tidbits of history and share about your favorite vintage things, including music. Feel free to share pictures of and stories about any antiques you have, too. Furniture, clothing, books, other objects, anything! Bonus points for poultry-related antiques, as this is a chicken forum.

I'll begin:
Personally I am interested in aspects of American culture from around 1890-1950. Photographs, particularly of people, fascinate me, as I love to analyze the clothing and hairstyles. These days I have been most focused on Edwardian clothing. And when it comes to antiques I enjoy looking through vintage books (mainly children's literature and high school yearbooks), magazines and cookbooks, popular sheet music, typewriters, postcards relevant to my area, anything that has to do with animals....the list goes on.

- I have a small collection of volumes from the Stratemeyer Syndicate series "The Outdoor Girls," the first book of which was published in 1913. Other things include several typewriters, some records, a few pages of old sheet music, other miscellaneous books and magazines, a few pre-1920 postcards from my area, some reprint Sears & Roebuck catalog books (organized by decade), and a couple new books on fashion history. I may share pictures at some point.

When it comes to music (I am referring to popular music and jazz), I like the majority of what came out between the early 1900's and 1950. There are certain genres from after that time period that I like, but I am much more picky. I am fortunate to have a radio station not too far from me that plays Big Band music (1930's and '40's). I will be posting links to several songs from 1900 to say, 1960, a few times a week here just for fun and to spark discussion. If your taste for music doesn't match mine, that's okay! Share some songs you like.

Please keep everything you share, including music, appropriate for all ages.
I love antique figurines, coins, glassware, silverware, chests among others.

Just found this thread! I absolutely love antiques. Especially traditional style antique furniture. I also love antique jewelry.

Something about old things is just so special to me. The attention to detail and character that they often have is so unique.

The 1800s is my favorite time period, not only are things like furniture and houses, but the fashion of the time was beautiful. The 30s to 50s especially.

Back
Top Bottom