All Time Favorite Book

Discussion in 'Games, Jokes, and Fun!' started by adeledamate, Jul 7, 2008.

1. adeledamate

adeledamate Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2008
    Los Angeles
    I have the summer off and received gift cards from my students to a couple of big book stores and was hoping that people might post some of their all time favorite reads. I prefer to buy books that are recommended. I like just about anything except the cheesy romance novels. Sorry to those of you who like those. All of the other females in my family couldn't survive without them. Anyway....I'd love to hear what you like. Thanks!

2. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    I had a customer just bring me a book and ask me to read it. Its called '90 minutes in heaven' .
    I am 1/2 way through the book and i have enjoyed reading it. I do not like to read!!!!! I can count on one hand the books i have read [​IMG]
    So google that and see if it looks interesting to you. Its not a wicked long book, but i thought i would mention it.

3. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    One of my most favorite books of all time is To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee. I have read it over and over and over through the years. I also love the movie with Gregory Peck.

4. ilovemychickies

ilovemychickies Chillin' With My Peeps

My all-time favorite series is called "The Mark of the Lion" by Francine Rivers. There are 3 books in the series and are by far the most well written and entertaining books that I have ever read. When I read them I never want to set them down! [​IMG]

5. Becky89*

Becky89* Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2008
    pennsylvania
    Quote:I had to read that book my Junior year in high school and that book made me cry.

I am one for the "cheesy romance novels" I like anything writen by CT. Adams and Cathy Clamp. They write about vampires(a good one is Touch of Madness) and Sazi people ( found in Howling Moon series people changing into animals). I am currently wating for the next book in the series called Timeless Moon. They really aren't that Cheesy to me but....

Another of my favorite books are Goodnight Gracie where a Teenage girl named Morgan has a best friend who is a teenaged boy named Jimmy who grew up together and do everything together untill one night when something happens to Jimmy and Morgan becomes scared and lost. I can't say much more or i'll ruin the book but this book is awsome, my cousin Elizabeth and i are nothing alike and we both read this book over and over and we cry each time.

If there is one book i don't like and would never ever recommend to anyone it would be Sadhartha I don't even know if I spelled it right but I had to read it when I was in my great books class and man did I ever have to drag myself through it [​IMG] But then we read Les miserables and I was happy cause I liked that book [​IMG]

6. Alaska animal lover

Alaska animal lover Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2008
    Palmer, Alaska
    Quote:I met the author! He signed my copy of the book. It was awesome to hear the story from him.

7. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    I enjoy Fantasy..... you can't go wrong with the Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings Trilogy... they're epic

I like R. A. Salvatores Dark Elf books, but not for everyone

The original Sherlock Holmes stories by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

The Bridges of Madison County..... yeah, I HATE cheesy romance novels... but this is one GREAT book!

I'm afraid I'm not much of a New York Times Bestseller gal [​IMG] I don't read your typical novels. If you go to Amazon and start saving favorites and what not it will suggest books for you based on your preferences... plus you can read reviews, etc.

8. Linda in San Diego

Linda in San Diego Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2008
    San Diego
    Quote:Little House in the Big Woods - when I taught 3/4 grades I would read this book after lunch recess and when appropriate male it a do along. Laura talks about pig tail, I brought in pork rind to taste. Laura describes butter maiking, the students shook baby food jars and made butter. A few minutes of reading a day and I am sure I made an impression both in reading and thinking.

The Little House books were a start to think about life without, well without what I had. My maternal grandmother grew up living in a soddy, rode a horse, bareback, to school. I was driven to school in a family van/car. How can I explain to my students the changes in such a shor time? LOL - but that is the challenge!

9. shmooborp

shmooborp artistic fowlism

ok OMG!! so pearlID and i agree that :fresh eggs " by rob leuandowski(sp?) is AMAZING!!!!! its sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo good! its a fiction book.. we both finished it in the first sitting it was sooooo goood... took me 12 hours to read... only took her 3...lol.. but it was still awesome!!

10. okiemommy

okiemommy Mother of 5, Prisoner to None

May 26, 2008
    Okla-Homa
    Little House in the Big Woods - when I taught 3/4 grades I would read this book after lunch recess and when appropriate male it a do along. Laura talks about pig tail, I brought in pork rind to taste. Laura describes butter maiking, the students shook baby food jars and made butter. A few minutes of reading a day and I am sure I made an impression both in reading and thinking.

The Little House books were a start to think about life without, well without what I had. My maternal grandmother grew up living in a soddy, rode a horse, bareback, to school. I was driven to school in a family van/car. How can I explain to my students the changes in such a shor time? LOL - but that is the challenge!

You sound like a great teacher! I loved teachers like you when I was lucky enough to get them!

My favorites are

Where the Red Fern Grows....I cry everytime!!

Scarlett...finally get some closure on that..the tv miniseries sucked really bad

90 min in Heaven was a good one

Captivating

I'm sure that there are more, but I can't think of them right now​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by