All Want The Same Nest!!

queenbeezz

Songster
9 Years
Apr 2, 2010
Orlando
lau.gif
I have 20+ hens, about 6 are laying now. They are all about 5 mos old. Handy hubby built nesting boxes for me. All are the same size and material. Four in the coop, six in the chicken yard and two under the back steps where they like to hang out. They free range from 7am until they take themselves inside about 7 to 7:30 in the evening for lock up.

My question is this-- why do they all want the same boxes? I put wooden eggs in all the boxes for a hint. I went into the coop today and I had two hens in each of two boxes and two empty. If one of the girls is in the "favorite" box sometimes the others will stand there and squawk rather than use the others. What's with that?

I did have one broody Cochin that sat her nest in one of the places in the chicken yard but not until she played musical nests for about a week.

silly chickens!!
D.gif
D.gif

I guess its like when you're a kid and you race to the car to get the front seat. My sister and I ALWAYS did that. It got to the point where we had designated days of the week. On the odd day, we "tried" to take turns.

I have the same problem well it isn't a problem for me I have 5 chickens, and all but one will lay in the same box!! it is kind of funny to see them lined up to lay
One of my Americanas is a little broody but not enough I don't think to hatch chicks, I am hoping for a change in the spring!
good luck with your flock, mine free range also with the dogs as their gardians they are in charge!!

Mine do the same except the favorite box changes!
hu.gif
Often I have eggs in less than half of the 6 boxes but never an adundance in the same box. Maybe it is more of first box sat in is the "ONE" for the day.
idunno.gif

Free ranging ia the best, the eggs a great and I spend very little on feed. They have a fenced in acre, all the table scraps we produce.

Mine have favorite boxes, too. Sometimes there is a pile-up in one box, or birds on the floor of the coop, obviously waiting in line. Occasionally I find an egg laid on the floor of the coop, in a corner near the favorite nest box, and I know that somebody lost their battle, waiting.
hmm.png

Right now I'm pulling 8/9 eggs a day out of 2 nests. I have 8 nests available. As more chickens come on line they seem to gravitate to those same 2 nests.

i think it has to do with the security of the nest. eggs or other hens in it, must be okay. empty, something must have eaten the eggs.

I have four hens, all young, only two are currently laying. Have six nesting boxes in the coop. And they use the same two boxes each time, one on one side of the coop for my EE, one on the other side for my Polish. I think for them it's habit. The box they laid their first egg in is the one they go back to. Don't know what will happen when the other two girls start laying.

deb g

I have weird chickens...they have to get into a box where someone else is trying to get the deed done. It is a mad house! We have 5 boxes for 22 girls and they are finally getting to where they do use other boxes but still have this loading up the box thing going on. When 3 of them get in the box it is nearly impossible for them to get out.
he.gif

Back
Top Bottom