all who are hatching quail

Mom Hunter are you culling some of just hatching them ? selling meat or eggs ? 
 I have an older neighbor with diabetes who i give the eggs too she is like OH JOY , had them as a kid and she can eat them she doesnt want to mess even with a garden so i grow way more then i can hand;le but boy does she get mad when the deer get some LOL . 

Since I have my weight records from the first 140 JMF eggs I hatched I will weigh these at 6 weeks. If they do not the minimal weights, to be considered for breeding, the males will either go to the freezer or be sold. The lighter hens I will feed for another two weeks, be for sale to others or go in my freezer. The largest ones will be weighed again at 8 weeks for me to select more breeders from.
Right now I have a two month waiting list of people that want chicks. I am hatching them out as fast as my girls are laying them. My problem is I kept to small of a number through the winter then a cat pulled some legs through my cage bottom and broke some hens legs. I am now down to only 6 hens giving eggs daily. Can't wait until my new chicks are old enough to join my breeder pen.
I have 45 eggs in the hatcher now that will be picked up Wed if all goes well. I am setting every egg, do not selling any eggs until I get caught up on chick orders. Then I need to raise a couple of hundred to put in my freezer, almost gone through all of my stock pile this winter. We raise or hunt all of our meat, no grocery store meat in our four freezers!!

My king quails hatched

5 cuties black, silver and white.
In this video they are playing with the goslings. Sincerly, goslings tryed to eat her wings....
0.jpg

Thanks

OK The Last batch 6 eggs 0 % success . put 16 more from my own pair in incubator they started moving just a bit yesterday ,which would be day 15 . today is day 16 ,very little movement , If they dont hatch again in next 2 days i am lost at what to do ...at start dry incubation 35% to 40 % humidity . with 99.5 or 99.8 temp ....At lock.down humidity 75% temp 99.5 97.5 for some reason temp tends to go down . with increased humidity . Starting to look at total loss again....what am i doing wrong . the incubator i am using is pro series model 4200 . yes i bought the egg turner and eggs turned up to lock down period but after that just put them on their side on the wire mesh ...HELP

PLs could you read my thread and tell me what i am doing wrong these are courtinix quails

hi taz-what is the source of your eggs? mail order or where they collected/stored properly? did you candle? did you open the bator constantly? also do a draft check, drafts and significant temp changes in the surrounding room can mess with bators if unresolved. if they wiggling theres a chance of success as long as theyre this close to hatching. id say dont panic, leave them alone, just keep the temp/humidity on point and wait...

Last edited:
I just hatched my first ever batch. I was pretty good at not opening the bator up to lockdown, which is when I candled my eggs, removed the empty ones (only 6 out of 50 were infertile and glowed light a light bulb, so they came out). All black/non-see-through stayed in, even thought most didn't wiggle. I was really worried because only a handful were wiggling.

However, ended up with the wigglers hatch first, then all of a sudden wake up in the morning on day 19 and ton more hatched: this is eggs that never wiggled and I thought they were dead in their shells, but no!! Had another 4 hatch on day 20, again total surprise.

So, don't give up on them until day 21 and just because they are not wiggling doesn't mean they are dead.

I actually think I meesed myself up by trying to bring down humidity because it shot to 85% at lockdown, so I kept opening the lid every couple hours to let humidity out. I wasn't adding any water or anything, not sure why it was just sky-rocketing. anyway, opening that lid made the membranes dry up on the pipped eggs and some died from that and some I had to help out. Then, as I said, on day 18 I just gave up and left the bator closed, with 85% humidity, most of the eggs hatched thereafter!!!

Bottom line, don't stress over it, leave it closed and let them do their magic :) Good luck!!!

I'm hatching my first quail in my homemade incubator. there's 67 eggs mixed colors I ordered from idhound. I let them rest for 24 hours. I set my incubator up a week in advance stayed right between 99 and 100. but now with the eggs in the temp seems to be fluctuating? now it seems to want to stay at 102 so i turn the thermostat down then a few hours later it goes up again? weird right. I set the eggs in and am turning 4 times a day manual sorta. I'm using a block under each group of eggs so it's fast I'm in and out of there quick. what should I do to resolve this? it's stressing me out. to say the least.

Last edited:
Hatched 63 out of my 70 eggs. Looks to be at least 4 different color phases. Couldn't be happier. Thank you idhound.

Back
Top Bottom