all who are hatching quail

One egg still working on hatching but no movement or progress from the others. 18, soon to be 19 out of 50 makes me sad. The couple temp spikes of 101 and 102 are likely the cause of such a low rate I am thinking. I candled them before lock down and only 2 infertile eggs. I am hoping the others are just late and not dead. The ones that hatched are all dry and running around like crazy so that is good. One white, one possibly tuxedo, a couple golden colored ones and the rest look pharaoh but it is hard to tell. I am keeping 6 and selling the rest. Plan to hatch more eggs very soon to add to my blood lines.

Are
One egg still working on hatching but no movement or progress from the others.  18, soon to be 19 out of 50 makes me sad.  The couple temp spikes of 101 and 102 are likely the cause of such a low rate I am thinking.  I candled them before lock down and only 2 infertile eggs.  I am hoping the others are just late and not dead. The ones that hatched are all dry and running around like crazy so that is good.  One white, one possibly tuxedo, a couple golden colored ones and the rest look pharaoh but it is hard to tell.  I am keeping 6 and selling the rest.  Plan to hatch more eggs very soon to add to my blood lines.  

Does your incubator have a fan or is it still air?

Are
Does your incubator have a fan or is it still air?
It is still air but I am getting a fan for it this weekend. It is too hard to keep a consistent temp in still air I think. i plan to start hatching red golden eggs from my birds too and I want to make sure I get good hatch rates.

It is still air but I am getting a fan for it this weekend.  It is too hard to keep a consistent temp in still air I think.  i plan to start hatching red golden eggs from my birds too and I want to make sure I get good hatch rates.
I hatched out a few chickens a few months ago with a home made incubator but it was a pain because I couldn't fit a turner in there. I recently bought a little giant incubator with turner and haven't had one problem with the temps. I also bought a digital thermometer/hygrometer from incubator warehouse and the temps have been steady between 100.2-101.5. Got 79 coturnix in there so let's see how many hatch out.

I found one yesterday that pipped clear in the center of the egg and was almost out but passed :(
One has a bad leg. I think it got injured while hatching. The other chicks were climbing all over. The last one that just hatched has curled toes. Waiting for it to dry then going to try and put a tiny band aid on to straighten them out.

I hatched out a few chickens a few months ago with a home made incubator but it was a pain because I couldn't fit a turner in there. I recently bought a little giant incubator with turner and haven't had one problem with the temps. I also bought a digital thermometer/hygrometer from incubator warehouse and the temps have been steady between 100.2-101.5. Got 79 coturnix in there so let's see how many hatch out.
i think it is mostly just the room it is in. It gets rather hot in there. I will be setting them up in the garage next time I think. Hope your hatch goes well.

Spent a while outside in the quail pen today just sitting and watching them play in the grass. I realized I have a lot more males then females. Hopefully I can find a good deal on some coturnix eggs and hatch out a bunch of girls. They are just finishing up molting so hopefully they start laying again soon. I may have to put the white ones in a seperate cage so I can figure out who is male and who is female so I can band them.

Spent a while outside in the quail pen today just sitting and watching them play in the grass. I realized I have a lot more males then females. Hopefully I can find a good deal on some coturnix eggs and hatch out a bunch of girls. They are just finishing up molting so hopefully they start laying again soon. I may have to put the white ones in a seperate cage so I can figure out who is male and who is female so I can band them.
You can always dump any extra roosters at my place, getting ready to butcher soon anyway.

Back
Top Bottom