all who are hatching quail

I have eggs coming from 2 different suppliers. I did this so there would be least likely to interbreed. I hope they arrive around the same day. I was thinking at lock down, I would insert a hardware cloth divider so I could keep them separate. I want to have A males with B females and B males with A females. Any thoughts on this craziness?

Good news guys! I believe I might have 3-5 slightly pipped eggs right now (internal)
clap.gif
Really excited, but slightly nervous. They haven't moved or chirped at all as far as I can tell! Is that normal? I'm on day 25 and I have my temperature and humidity at a constant 99-100F & 70-71% VERY excited for all of you! You all have A-D-O-R-A-B-L-E chicks, I can only hope my chicks come out as fluffy and cute as yours!

Last edited:
I have eggs coming from 2 different suppliers. I did this so there would be least likely to interbreed. I hope they arrive around the same day. I was thinking at lock down, I would insert a hardware cloth divider so I could keep them separate. I want to have A males with B females and B males with A females. Any thoughts on this craziness?
Good Idea! If they come on different days (like 1-3 days apart, not 1-2 weeks) then you can just keep the arrived eggs in a 50-60F climate until the other eggs show up, then keep them both in room temp. conditions for 1-2 hours, and then once your incubators all set up you can put both sets of eggs inside in any order/placement you'd like! Hope this helps
thumbsup.gif

Doesn't look too promising for more than the five I hatched yesterday, but going to leave the bator going for a couple more days after just now

quickly taking the babies out and putting them in the brooder. Last time I did that I got one more the next day. These sure look like boys to me, hope I'm wrong. Got two boys last month too. Eeek. And I'm done hatching for this year.

Good news guys! I believe I might have 3-5 slightly pipped eggs right now (internal)
clap.gif
Really excited, but slightly nervous. They haven't moved or chirped at all as far as I can tell! Is that normal? I'm on day 25 and I have my temperature and humidity at a constant 99-100F & 70-71% VERY excited for all of you! You all have A-D-O-R-A-B-L-E chicks, I can only hope my chicks come out as fluffy an

Quote: Good idea!

Thank you! I've been doing TONS of reading to get ready for my chicks and all. It's funny how a couple pips can turn you into a crazy overprotective mother- MOM: Lemme see your eggs! Awww...
ME: Step away from the eggs mother! Stop! Don't breathe on them! MOM, don't lean in so close! You'll fall and crush them! MMMOOMMM!!!
hahahahahahaha Oh, by the way. How long do you have to wait after they first start to internally pip?

Thank you! I've been doing TONS of reading to get ready for my chicks and all. It's funny how a couple pips can turn you into a crazy overprotective mother- MOM: Lemme see your eggs! Awww...
ME: Step away from the eggs mother! Stop! Don't breathe on them! MOM, don't lean in so close! You'll fall and crush them! MMMOOMMM!!!
hahahahahahaha Oh, by the way. How long do you have to wait after they first start to internally pip?
I wish there was a set time- could be really soon after that you see them zipping around the egg, or could be a day or two. But it is so exciting and yeah, brings out the overprotective instinct for sure! :)

OK thanks! I had some internally pip a couple days ago, but one pipped from the wrong end! Is that a problem? The internal pip was so massive it could have been almost an external, it looked like an earthquake!

Good Idea! If they come on different days (like 1-3 days apart, not 1-2 weeks) then you can just keep the arrived eggs in a 50-60F climate until the other eggs show up, then keep them both in room temp. conditions for 1-2 hours, and then once your incubators all set up you can put both sets of eggs inside in any order/placement you'd like! Hope this helps
thumbsup.gif
Thanks, great info.

Back
Top Bottom