all who are hatching quail

So this is my second try at this. the last time only 3 out of 17 hatched

Today 7 out of 14 hatched but today is only day 16 and I staggered putting some in (as they layed them) so a few is not due for anoter 2 days.

Also have another 36 just put in yesterday this should be my last batch for a month or so until my chicks leave the brooders as I pick them up next week.
So 4 more hatched last night but 2 of that 4 died. It was weird they could not stand and kept flopping around on their backs and one of them looks like they can not stand just kind of hobbled around then died. so far I got 9 out of 14 tonight I will float test the last 3 tonight.

I have another batch of 24 due to hatch on 4/13/2013 then I am done for a little bit at least until June but then I plan on doing 120

More experienced people help! I though my 105 3 day old chicks were doing good. Then his morning one dead and another really weak. I get home from work and 5 more dead and 4 weak. They are all the really small ones. Some 1/2 the size of other chicks. Is this an expected loss? What percentage should we expect to loose after hatching? This is my first quail hatch. I am keeping at 95-98 degrees, changing water two times daily and feeding game bird starter. Most are running around like crazy, I'm amazed at how much such little birds poop!!!

More experienced people help! I though my 105 3 day old chicks were doing good. Then his morning one dead and another really weak. I get home from work and 5 more dead and 4 weak. They are all the really small ones. Some 1/2 the size of other chicks. Is this an expected loss? What percentage should we expect to loose after hatching? This is my first quail hatch. I am keeping at 95-98 degrees, changing water two times daily and feeding game bird starter. Most are running around like crazy, I'm amazed at how much such little birds poop!!!
With that many birds, how many waterers and feeding stations do you have? You can add vitamins in the water. Did the dead ones have any other symptoms?

I always dip each bird's beak in the water the minute it goes into the brooder so it will know where to find water after that.

With that many birds, how many waterers and feeding stations do you have?  You can add vitamins in the water.  Did the dead ones have any other symptoms?

I always dip each bird's beak in the water the minute it goes into the brooder so it will know where to find water after that.

I dipped everyone's beak in the water as I put them in the brooder. I have one of the long plastic chick feeders with holes on both sides plus sprinkled feed on floor. Had one quart waterer with marbles in trough. I now have separated weaker chicks and put a one gallon waterer in big brooder. They seem to be constantly in the feeder and at the waterer. I also ground up some feed into smaller bites for the weaker ones to see if that helps.

I have 16 A&M eggs (my first time hatching quail)...and it scares me to death cause im afraid of them not making it because of my lack of knowledge. My husband got them as breeding a food source but I want to keep them lol, its been 12 1/2 hours since the first one pipped, but hasnt made any more progress but its beak is moving, and the egg is rocking a little.

I have 16 A&M eggs (my first time hatching quail)...and it scares me to death cause im afraid of them not making it because of my lack of knowledge. My husband got them as breeding a food source but I want to keep them lol, its been 12 1/2 hours since the first one pipped, but hasnt made any more progress but its beak is moving, and the egg is rocking a little.

Good luck. I just went through my second hatch and I can tell you the first time I was way too impatient. Just be patient and let them do what they do. Chances are good that if they can't get out on their own, they weren't meant to get out. Also, don't worry about taking the new ones out of the incubator right away. You can leave them in there for up to 24 hours while they dry. It is actually better for them to have that additional time to dry and get their legs under them. My first hatch was 5 out of 24 eggs hatched with 4 surviving to adulthood. Second was 9 out of 24 hatched and they are 2 days old now and already much healthier than my first batch that I babied way too much. Read up, learn and enjoy! It sure is fun!

about 2am wednesday i candled a few of the eggs i got from someone in north dakota and one at first i though only had veining but as i stood there looikng at it i noticed a dark spot then after a second or two the little dark spot moved! have a live little baby chick in there...am so excited. these eggs should hatch about the 13th and the other half that came from wasighton state should hatch the 14th. i'm so excited i cant wait to see the tiny fuzzy chicks that hatch out

Lost one of my 9 so I'm down to 8. One is much smaller and hardly moves around although he seems plenty active if I try to hold him. I think he probably won't make it though. I think some chicks just have that failure to thrive thing.

We are enjoying the quail that we never planned on having! My 11 year old daughter likes the chicks but she is in love with the quail! Here are a couple pics of one of our 2 day old bobwhite quail:

Those needing help, If you haven't already try starting a new thread on your own in the quail thread.. I don't think alot of the more experienced ones with quail check this thread. Try doing a advanced search also. Alot of great info on this sight just takes a while to sort through it all.
I added ACV (apple cidar vinegar) to my water, after I lost a couple from this last hatch, and gave some small grit to help aid in their digestion. It was reccommend for my chicks that got pasty butt, so I thought why not try it on the quail, it seem to work. Yogurt was also suggested for the chicks, but I couldn't get them to try the yogurt. The quail were in the same room but in seperate brooders, and I noticed a couple had watery poo. There is some vitamin or save a chick stuff you can get but I've never used it but alot of people on byc swear byt he stuff.

I do agree with oktx that some just don't survive and there isn't anything you can do. It could be the parents, the parents diet, the storing of the eggs, the temps, any number of things. Sorry for your losses. Hope you find the cause and the cure.

Back
Top Bottom