all who are hatching quail

Hi all,,,Just for reference,just because a bird is white doesn't mean it's a A&M,just a white bird.White is recessive..English white is dominant pied....

Here I can get feed for $20 a bag which makes my cost per dozen right at .75 cents...That's maintaining 250 hens figuring 20% don't lay on a daily basis..Then theirs collecting,sorting,washing and packing.Food for thought anyways....I personally wouldn't add hens without a contract with this person....

How many pounds for the $20? 50lbs and what % protein are you getting? I am getting 28% for $13.50 a 50lb bag here. If I don't sell to the guy who is buying everything I hatch right now I just bring them to the livestock auction. Last time I went I brought in 2.25 a bird for 1 wk olds which isn't too bad when I paid 16.5 cents an egg and had them less than a week. However, I'm not sure if I would flood the market if I get into hatching higher numbers and he backs out. There is no way its going to be a contract thing as he's a good ol boy and it's a handshake kind of thing. However, I trust him his wife is a nurse and I work with her and he's been buying in 750 chicks a week so I told her why not let me hatch for him. Do you use vent sexing for your quail? I have mine all together in a very large pen right now. He's wanting birds only and will actually bring me the eggs back once they start laying we decided on a 10 cents per egg credit when his start laying (He bought some 1 week olds from me two weeks ago)

How many pounds for the $20? 50lbs and what % protein are you getting? I am getting 28% for $13.50 a 50lb bag here. If I don't sell to the guy who is buying everything I hatch right now I just bring them to the livestock auction. Last time I went I brought in 2.25 a bird for 1 wk olds which isn't too bad when I paid 16.5 cents an egg and had them less than a week. However, I'm not sure if I would flood the market if I get into hatching higher numbers and he backs out. There is no way its going to be a contract thing as he's a good ol boy and it's a handshake kind of thing. However, I trust him his wife is a nurse and I work with her and he's been buying in 750 chicks a week so I told her why not let me hatch for him. Do you use vent sexing for your quail? I have mine all together in a very large pen right now. He's wanting birds only and will actually bring me the eggs back once they start laying we decided on a 10 cents per egg credit when his start laying (He bought some 1 week olds from me two weeks ago)

Sounds like a plan....Here 50 pounds 30% protein....Wish I could get it for what your paying....Good Luck and make some money....No, I've never vent sexed the young,and don't plan on it,the adults,yes....I've been out of quail for several years now,but will get back into trouble with them again probly this year...LOL

Today is hatch day for me...again
ya.gif
I have 45 jumbo browns that made it to lockdown... one was zipped when I left for work today and lots of pips!

I hatched 21 quail last month that are now almost 3 weeks old. I now have 80+ in the incubator that are due to hatch next week.

All my adult quail that I collected the eggs from are Jumbo Brown Coturnix. I got one chick that is a recessive white (tuxedo?). Anyone know what the proper term for this color is?

Congrats!

I've got 100 Texas A&M eggs in the 'bator at the moment, put them in last friday, so it will be a week in the morning.

22 hatched so far out of 28 eggs, one hatched then died, and 3 more eggs making noise. I love hatch days! My brooder is full of little fluffy balls :)

22 hatched so far out of 28 eggs, one hatched then died, and 3 more eggs making noise. I love hatch days! My brooder is full of little fluffy balls :)

What are you all doing to get such good hatch rates? Are these shipped eggs or your own eggs?

Quote:
Those are all my own eggs. I set 37 and candled at lockdown and 28 made it (6 of the infertile ones I had expected to probably be infertile and the other three were most likely old as I had a couple of 9 and 10 day eggs in there). So really it's 22 from a starting base of 37. My first hatch had 2/3 infertile eggs as I bought a lot of them from a local store and barely any hatched. The ones that did were most likely the few I had in there that were my own. When collecting for setting I store my eggs in separate egg cartons, one carton per hen, in a cool even-temperatured cupboard and rotate them once a day when I put the new eggs in. I don't know if that helps but I'm happy to have so many hatch from this batch :) B

Back
Top Bottom