all who are hatching quail

=D I'm about to set 40 coturnix eggs shipped from eBay this evening. Mixed colors, apparently "Texas A&M white, Manchurian golden, tuxedo and chocolate."

I made a styrofoam cooler incubator. Didn't really get the chance to get a fan for it since it ended up being an afterthought. I was not exactly aiming for 40 birds, so I can still handle a pretty high rate of not hatching and still be happy, though. Not to jinx myself.

I'm wondering if your issue with hatching isn't due to some type of contamination as well as humidity? Are you bleaching your incubator? I normally have 1-2 out of 100 that zip and can't get out and I help and 90% of the time they make it. I have 40 bobwhites due tonight and one has hatched so far. This is my first set of bobwhites I'm doing this year. Also have 124 coturnix coming out of the turner tomorrow!

I never knew quail were this hard! I never had problems w chicken eggs like this.
sad.png

From my limited experience I would suspect issues with inadequate or improper turning.

Ugh that is what I was afraid of, but the humidity has been up between 65 & 70 the last 3 days....and when I got home it was around 65. Maybe I'm not keeping it high enough or too high during days 1-14.
I too have had a bad hatch with some A&M....This is the info the shipper has given me..keep humidity @ 82 to 86 % (Thats what I said) Set temp @ 100.5 for more hens make sure you bator is all vent holes open and all trays filled both tray,,yes I know ,,but this is the info I was given.The amount of oxygen coming in is very important ..need major air flow...best to have a bator with fan kit. Turning is important, but you still can get great hatches ,,if you turner malfunctioned or you miss a turning several times. This is what I going by ,,
I think it will help me i think the high humidity is what the problem is.. I read the fear of chicks drowning because to much humidity .I keep reading about dry hatch for the first 18 days then major spike the humidity in the last three days. Yet when I read different folks having eggs wrapped and poor hatches with symptoms like mine.
I live in a very dry climate .plus I have a wood stove and the air is very dry in my house..With that info ..I thinking this will work..
Anybody else hear of higher humidity all thru the setting?

I too have had a bad hatch with some A&M....This is the info the shipper has given me..keep humidity @ 82 to 86 % (Thats what I said) Set temp @ 100.5 for more hens make sure you bator is all vent holes open and all trays filled both tray,,yes I know ,,but this is the info I was given.The amount of oxygen coming in is very important ..need major air flow...best to have a bator with fan kit. Turning is important, but you still can get great hatches ,,if you turner malfunctioned or you miss a turning several times. This is what I going by ,,
I think it will help me i think the high humidity is what the problem is.. I read the fear of chicks drowning because to much humidity .I keep reading about dry hatch for the first 18 days then major spike the humidity in the last three days. Yet when I read different folks having eggs wrapped and poor hatches with symptoms like mine.
I live in a very dry climate .plus I have a wood stove and the air is very dry in my house..With that info ..I thinking this will work..
I've set today 75 eggs in my Brinsea Octagon

I too have had a bad hatch with some A&M....This is the info the shipper has given me..keep humidity @ 82 to 86 %  (Thats what I said) Set temp @ 100.5 for more hens make sure you bator is all  vent holes open and all trays filled both tray,,yes I know ,,but this is the info I was given.The amount of oxygen coming in is very important ..need major air flow...best to have a bator with fan kit. Turning is important, but you still can get great hatches ,,if you turner  malfunctioned or you miss a turning several times. This is what I going by ,,
I think it will help me  i think the high humidity is what the problem is.. I read the fear of chicks drowning because to much humidity .I keep reading about dry hatch for the first 18 days then major spike the humidity in the last three days. Yet when I read different folks having eggs wrapped and poor hatches with symptoms like mine. 
I live in a very dry climate .plus I have a wood stove and the air is very dry in my house..With that info  ..I thinking this will work..

The easpon you get more hens is because male embryo are weak and die when its hotter. You get more hens but fewer total birds. I laugh every time I hear this. Like the embryo is going to have its boy parts melted!

The easpon you get more hens is because male embryo are weak and die when its hotter. You get more hens but fewer total birds. I laugh every time I hear this. Like the embryo is going to have its boy parts melted!
Good thing I stayed 100 degrees.... Say what humidity do you run with you quail? Females carry the the color gene and the male carry the sex gene. It that reversed?

Bawk,,,bawk,,, I got some tips for you....Ever hear of growing fodder,,,Well let me say I was setting myself up to do this...Got a bag of barley$9 @ Alaska feed. The wife and I were jacked about trying this out save some Ca$h .I mean 1lb seed and = 6lbs of fodder.... " they say"
Well let step back and look@ this....Have you guy heard of the Produce barn ..On south cushman turn off to 30Th right next to chaz Auto body. There is a fella growing lettuce. basil and 10to 15 different kinds of sproust.. Starts his sprouts out on burlap...Then he harvest the sprouts..there is this strip of burlap that has leftover sprouts seeds/seed hulls and a very big mass of roots. They roll them up into small rolls.Then they will place in a container that YOU provide and pick it up once or twice a week..They call you. Plus you got to buy some sprouts or basil or lettuce.. good stuff and it is fresh ..We help him and he helps us...Just a thought.
P.S. ITS FREE.
My quail bounce over it....

Good thing I stayed 100 degrees.... Say what humidity do you run with you quail? Females carry the the color gene and the male carry the sex gene. It that reversed? 

Maybe I need more coffee for the sex/color gene. I know this. In birds the mother determines sex not the father. Color is determined bt dominant genetics. I learned that unless you want a gold colony. Dont add gold birds. Humidity is a stickler with the quail. If u have forced air or wood heat. I can have 100% hatch with chickens and the quail will pip and die. What I have done is I run the bater at a wet bulb of 90 degrees. I add wet sponges at lock down, if you cannot keep the sponge wet add a mug of warm water with a sponge in it. As soon as They begin hatching I get a warm moist paper towel and I cover the eggs. Keeping i moist with a spritz bottle if it drys. I have noticed the eggs most likely to shrink wrap are the larger types. JUMBO AMERICAN PHAROAH AND A&M. And the eggs to the outside.For some reason the quail dry out and weaken faster.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom