all who are hatching quail

Wishful, I know the mesh you're talking about. I use it for my hermit crabs' ramps & such. As it's safe for crabs (and they are touchy..) it should be okay in an incubator so long as it doesn't melt (which shouldn't happen of course). :)

Alaska Fowl thank you very much for your post. The house I will be moving into may not have stable air temps (it's on electric rather than forced air), but I could always try to work around that. I've looked at coolers and pondered making one if I had a full-on set of instructions. I love DIY, but I don't want to risk a creature's life for a crafting fancy. Thank you very much for that link.

Wishful, I know the mesh you're talking about. I use it for my hermit crabs' ramps & such. As it's safe for crabs (and they are touchy..) it should be okay in an incubator so long as it doesn't melt (which shouldn't happen of course). :)

Alaska Fowl thank you very much for your post. The house I will be moving into may not have stable air temps (it's on electric rather than forced air), but I could always try to work around that. I've looked at coolers and pondered making one if I had a full-on set of instructions. I love DIY, but I don't want to risk a creature's life for a crafting fancy. Thank you very much for that link.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/homemade-chicken-egg-incubator-designs-pictures
https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/homemade-chicken-incubator
Check those out ..The second one is step by step...Real simple...

I hope I haven't jinxed myself by reporting this but....
I have a Coturnix quail that has gone broody.   I  left her five eggs on the 1st and she is still sitting patiently.   Yesterday she pushed out and hid one egg.  Since it was cold I  removed it and it was develping I guess she can tell without candeling which eggs are good.  I hope she can make it 10 more days and that the weather stays the same at an average temperature of 85 with real  high humidity.

woot.gif
woot.gif

I have not slept yet as my Coturnix have been hatching all day. Still more to hatch AND have another 180 eggs on the way! Not to mention the 40 Serama eggs going in today. ;)

This is my first time incubating, had 57 Coturnix eggs go in on 5/3/13. Cross your fingers. I've been obsessing over getting things right. =)

Someone gave me a wild egg found when they were removing bird nests from a property (birds look like Finches maybe). And my daughters found (what they guess is) a Robin egg in the yard yesterday, and I've placed both of those in as well. From everything I've read it's almost impossible to keep wild birds alive after hatching (due to necessity of being fed every 15-20 minutes without fail). I just can't let the eggs die without trying to help.

Is it possible that the wild eggs may harm my Coturnix eggs that are already 11 days into incubation? (I can turn the wild eggs after lockdown, without opening)

This is my first time incubating, had 57 Coturnix eggs go in on 5/3/13. Cross your fingers. I've been obsessing over getting things right. =)

Someone gave me a wild egg found when they were removing bird nests from a property (birds look like Finches maybe). And my daughters found (what they guess is) a Robin egg in the yard yesterday, and I've placed both of those in as well. From everything I've read it's almost impossible to keep wild birds alive after hatching (due to necessity of being fed every 15-20 minutes without fail). I just can't let the eggs die without trying to help.

Is it possible that the wild eggs may harm my Coturnix eggs that are already 11 days into incubation? (I can turn the wild eggs after lockdown, without opening)
Check your state regs..I would think that it is illegal to tamper with wild song bird..may be just my state...

Back
Top Bottom