all who are hatching quail

I set 21 Corturnix eggs in a borrowed Hovabator on Friday evening. This is my first hatch of any eggs. I also have a single quail egg and a pigeon egg under my Show King pigeon pair. The pigeon egg may hatch any day now, but it hasn't pipped yet. The single quail egg is due in seven days.

I recently started on the quail stuff (For friends not meat) I have 7 corturnix, 2 bobwhites, and 2 button getting 4 more(2 button and 2 bobwhites) I can't wait to start breeding them!

Just hatched out another 90 mixed coturnix chicks. Since I hatched out my first 150? in May I have hatched out over 500 chicks, processed, processed over 200 and sold all the rest. Next spring I'm thinking of getting the true jumbo browns and trying them for larger birds.

How much do your current coturnix weigh? How much will the jumbos you plan to get weigh?

I've started weighing mine & only keeping the largest for future breeders.

I recently bought some 2 week old A&Ms (?) and a rosetta (or a tibetan or british range ??) from someone that had purchased eggs off of ebay & didn't want the white ones. They felt the chicks were huge, but compared to mine they're quite small. At 2 weeks they weighed about 1/2 what my typical 2 weeks old quail weigh. I need to weigh them now that they're adults but I'm guessing at best they weigh 2/3 to 3/4 of my typical adult weight.

I have fifty 2 day olds in the brooder from my 4th quail hatch, even though I'd swore I was putting the incubator away after the 3rd hatch!

My current birds are fairly big, were supposed to have a lot of jumbo brown. But even only keeping the largest one for breeders they only get to around 12 oz. I am looking at two breeders that have 16-18 oz jumbos, that's what I want.

I have 30 8 week olds that are going to the freezer this weekend, proceeded 65 last weekend. 20 3 week olds, 30 breeders and the 90something that just finished hatching. I have two clients that want 150 chicks each in oct. I think those will be the last hatched out of my current birds. Thinking of ordering the XL jumbo eggs end of sept to raise for breeders.

My current birds are fairly big, were supposed to have a lot of jumbo brown. But even only keeping the largest one for breeders they only get to around 12 oz. I am looking at two breeders that have 16-18 oz jumbos, that's what I want.

Thanks Mom, let me know when you find 16-18 oz jumbos.

Mine were supposed to come from true jumbo stock too, they're typically ranging from 10-14 oz. I think they largest that I've weighed was approaching 15 oz. Maybe size is more feed related and I need to examine my feeding practices? What do you feed?

Not that I'm unhappy with the size I'm getting but I'd love to get some of these true jumbos, so please share when you find them.

Last edited:
Thanks Mom, let me know when you find 16-18 oz jumbos.
Mine were supposed to come from true jumbo stock too, they're typically ranging from 10-14 oz. I think they largest that I've weighed was approaching 15 oz. Maybe size is more feed related and I need to examine my feeding practices? What do you feed?

Not that I'm unhappy with the size I'm getting but I'd love to get some of these true jumbos, so please share when you find them.

I am looking at eggs from James Marie farm and another large farm in california ( I found them on eBay but don't know the name only the email).
I feed purina game bird startena for the first 7 weeks then the purina game bird Layena. No meds at all, elevated cages with wire bottoms for 80% of the cage, solid ends. Breed colony style with 2 dozen hens to 6 Roos in 12'L x 3.5'W x 2'T cages. A feeder in each end free choice and use low pressure watering drink cups. I'll make sure and keep some weight records when I hatch at the XL jumbos and keep y'all posted on how they do.

Back
Top Bottom