all who are hatching quail

I'm not sure how accurate a float test is. I float tested a few at lockdown and two that floated were rotten. They floated at the same level as the fertile eggs.

I floated another time and 8 of 11 coturnix eggs floated and 8 of 12 button eggs floated. I wait to what they say the other forum mates
old.gif

I float tested about 5 of my late eggs. One bobbed like a cork: dud. One wiggled: hatched One was a low floater: hatched . And the other two were also low floaters, but never hatched. Float tested three days later and they turned into high floaters.

Though I'm starting to think that next time if my eggs don't hatch after 24 hours after the majority of the babies do, I'll toss the late ones. Sounds cruel but of all the chicks that hatched, the two late chicks were the only ones that had issues. The first one had curled toes and needed snow shoes, then the little guy wouldn't eat and I had to hand feed him until he got enough energy to eat himself.

The other late chick ended up with curled toes, then got splay leg, and also has a crooked neck. I managed to get him up and walking, but the little guy is hunched like an old man. I'm thinking that if chicks cant' hatch with the rest, there's go to be a reason why and best to let nature take it's course from now on. In the wild, mama bird would have got off the nest once most her chicks hatched and any stragglers wouldn't make it.

I'm thinking that if chicks cant' hatch with the rest, there's go to be a reason why and best to let nature take it's course from now on. In the wild, mama bird would have got off the nest once most her chicks hatched and any stragglers wouldn't make it.

That is very true, if they have problems hatching, they are going to have more problmes in her lives.

Hello
I've candled the eggs, there are 4 quail eggs of 12, and 10 button quail eggs of 12. I have a 58% fertility rate, I think it's very well considering all the prblems of incubation I am having.
Thanks

Game time...put my first batch of 200 bobwhites in the hatcher today. Fingers crossed...I couldn't keep the humidity right in the hatcher so I've got them in a hatching tray in the bottom of the incubator. 99.5 degrees 70% humidity...hope it works.

Supervisor

Back
Top Bottom