all who are hatching quail

Those that are incubating. Where did you get your original first batch of birds. I am trying to figure out why hatcheries want a run of 100. I want to start back this summer but was thinking of like 25 to start.
The order minimums is usually to help the chicks keep each other warm i believe.

Those that are incubating. Where did you get your original first batch of birds. I am trying to figure out why hatcheries want a run of 100. I want to start back this summer but was thinking of like 25 to start.

Check locally especially craigslist. Online places like Stromberg's chicken have quail eggs and sell runs up to 1000(depending on breed). Here is their site http://www.strombergschickens.com/prod_detail_list/Fertile-Hatching-Eggs . You can also check Ebay as it normally has quail eggs. Just know that it's a hit or miss with ebay. Check the person's feedback to see if any complaints or praises on the eggs they have sold. I actually have a batch in now from ebay this is my first quail batch.

I would personally check around byc for sale area. I believe there is a section for hatching eggs. At least eggs coming from members on here you should have a sense of what is coming to you.
I hope this might give you some ideas and I'm sure some of the other members might chime in with some more ideas.

Check locally especially craigslist. Online places like Stromberg's chicken have quail eggs and sell runs up to 1000(depending on breed). Here is their site http://www.strombergschickens.com/prod_detail_list/Fertile-Hatching-Eggs . You can also check Ebay as it normally has quail eggs. Just know that it's a hit or miss with ebay. Check the person's feedback to see if any complaints or praises on the eggs they have sold. I actually have a batch in now from ebay this is my first quail batch.

I would personally check around byc for sale area. I believe there is a section for hatching eggs. At least eggs coming from members on here you should have a sense of what is coming to you.
I hope this might give you some ideas and I'm sure some of the other members might chime in with some more ideas.

I have a local producer 20 miles from the house. However, they are telling me I have to order a minimum of 100. This is a gamebird producer and I want them for a different reason. I have NEVER had that many birds and until I feel comfortable with them, I am not sure I want that many. I have never eaten quail, but I have read that the eggs are similar in taste to chicken eggs. At this point I don't have an incubator to be able to hatch the eggs. I'm pretty sure I could make one, but then you have the issue of rotating the eggs in order to get them to hatch. I wanted to start with a small amount and go from there.

I have a local producer 20 miles from the house. However, they are telling me I have to order a minimum of 100. This is a gamebird producer and I want them for a different reason. I have NEVER had that many birds and until I feel comfortable with them, I am not sure I want that many. I have never eaten quail, but I have read that the eggs are similar in taste to chicken eggs. At this point I don't have an incubator to be able to hatch the eggs. I'm pretty sure I could make one, but then you have the issue of rotating the eggs in order to get them to hatch. I wanted to start with a small amount and go from there.
Ooops I didn't read your entire post well.. That's what I get for being on here without coffee. lol I hope you find someone. I have button quail eggs incubating now. What type are you interested in?

Ooops I didn't read your entire post well.. That's what I get for being on here without coffee. lol I hope you find someone. I have button quail eggs incubating now. What type are you interested in?

Really just looking for a breed that is a good layer. If I can get them to lay, once I feel comfortable I can do the incubator for more. I just can't justify 100 birds without knowing if they will lay good or stink or if I will like them at all. I stand a better chance at raising 25 and selling them as adults if I don't like them.

No problem. I am only up because I have a 5 yo that won't let me sleep past 630.

I just locked down 12 eggs, woohoo. My last batch of quail and my 3rd hatch. Still just as exciting as the first. Only thing different about these is its only day 14 and they're really rocking! I wonder if they'll hatch early.

I just locked down 12 eggs, woohoo. My last batch of quail and my 3rd hatch. Still just as exciting as the first. Only thing different about these is its only day 14 and they're really rocking! I wonder if they'll hatch early.

Well luckily I got ahold of my local bob white hatchery and he is only asking 40 cents per bird. At that price I can afford to get the 100. The online hatcheries are crazy expensive to get that many birds. Hopefully once I get them brooded and up to adult size I can get them rolling and then try to hatch my own. By chance can you tell me what type of incubator you are using? Pics please?
Thanks for the info.

Its definitely nothing to brag about! Haha, its just a little giant still air. No turner or fan. When my quail grow and start laying I'll probably install a fan and turner for bigger hatches.

My A&Ms are laying quite consistently now. Started at 7 weeks. I daren't incubate any... don't want to have to slaughter birds again...
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom