all who are hatching quail

hatched 8 of 12 jumbo last nite coturnix , eggs laid by my own flock. #9 is struggling to break open, about 2/3 done. got another batch of 24+eggs in cartons ready to go in. this is getting fun but gotta make more **** cages-wife is tapping her foot with arms crossed by now but she loves the chickies. thinking of shipping eggs/chicks out but not sure if worth the money or effort. hovabator 1602n is having a busy spring already. not bad at all considering i rescued the rooster/hens from a local dirty poulty place full of dirty chickens late jan with no experience breeding birds. hows everyone else doing?

ok admins i meant to say darn or dang. no flag needed.

Last edited:
Ive got 28 japanese in now and 6 silver bob whites :D hatching in two weeks. my japanese chicks are now a week old with pin feathers coming through. ..how long do they take?

52 coturnix eggs going in today along with 4 silkie/golden sebright chicken eggs. I am going to set up a brooder a week before lockdown on the quail so I can just put them in there and finish the chicken eggs in the incubator. I also got the first egg from my pair of red golden pheasants today. Pretty excited about it. I know he has been breeding with her so I am going to wait a week or so and see how many more eggs I get and try to hatch them too.

I didnt know that they made quail starter let alone medicated quail starter. I thought was just for chickens. I dont feed my quail anything but 28% game bird feed non medicated. Someone here will probably give you a definitive answere soon though.

I just bought 28% quail starter medicated for bmd for my quail can my chickens eat this? Also?
i would feed it to chickens, chickens don't need the high protein but medicated should never be fed to game birds. medicated feed will kill most game birds. and almost anyone who has raise game birds will tell you this. best of luck but i would never feed any medicated feed to my game birds. best feed i have found for my quail is IFA gamestarter for chicks then i move to IFA turkey grower both are in high 20's on protein and quail love it. and niether are medicated. and i raise lots of quail. so answer to your question the chickens will do fine on it, chicks or adults. if its adults becareful if you are eating eggs from medicated fed chickens.

I bought it at the local feed mill they call it quail starter should I not feed it? Everything I read about the medicine is for blackhead I think
Its not going to hurt them. BMD is to prevent enteritis. Enteritis is a contagious bacteria that can incubate in feces or be transmitted through insects and if consumed by the birds can cause an extremely high mortality rate, possibly even reaching 100%. It is prevented by keeping a clean brooder/cage and keeping ants and other infestation type bugs out of the pens. I've never had a bird get enteritis so I've never used it, but BMD medicated food certainly won't kill them. Medicated feed over a long period of time has been known to cause sterility in male poultry, so don't feed it for extended periods.

Here is some extra assurance for you.

Earlier I only meant I haven't physically seen it as in nowhere I've ever shopped carries it.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom