all who are hatching quail

50 coturnix eggs get locked down next week. Super excited to hatch them. 4 chicken eggs and an egg from my red golden pheasants are in there too.

A dozen of my a&ms lockdown on Sunday and I'm getting a dozen+ jumbo browns in the mail tomorrow! I may go ahead and throw some of my a&ms in with the Browns : P

It really does get easier every time. It will take a few times, but eventually, you kind of just put your mind away and become mechanical about it. With practice you'll get to where you only have each bird in your hand for a couple minutes tops.

I'm thinking of setting some more eggs for meat birds, but I really didn't enjoy processing them, so am reluctant to set any... Any words of encouragement/advice?
it was hard for me the first time. I've raised them since hatching. I use a good sharp pair of kitchen shears, off with their heads and hold them for a second. It gets easier. They are definitely much easier then chickens.

I have 38 in one incubator right now - a combination of Jumbo Brown, Texas A&M, and Golden Speckled. I have another 36+ coming of assorted Tuxedo, Texas A&M, and Golden Italian's. I also have 12 Snowflake's about to go in the incubator.

Yes, you can have a staggered hatch. I started coturnix and bobwhites in the same incubator on the same day. I took the coturnix out yesterday and put them in a 'hatcher' (mine is just a spare incubator where I bumped the humidity way up). The bobs have a longer incubation period so they are still in there. If you do a staggered hatch just make sure to mark your eggs very well and when they are due for lockdown, take them out and put them in a hatcher so they don't disturb your developing eggs. :)

What is the result of leaving the humidity at 40* during the hatching period?

It's on! Half a&ms from my stock and half jumbo browns from ebay!

Back
Top Bottom