1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

All you hatchers out there

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by megshenhut, Dec 7, 2007.

1. megshenhut

megshenhut Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2007
    Central Colorado
    Do you vaccinate your new baby chicks for Marek's or anything else?

2. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2007
    Longmont, CO
    I have that same question. Our extention agent says to make sure I get that, but I wondered what everybody does for that.

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Nope, never vaccinated for anything.

4. karri25

karri25 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2007
    Arkansas
    I don't either but I'm not really very experienced yet. I haven't had any probs though.

5. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Nope, don't do that either. It is usually only recommended for large farms/operations where disease can easily crop up or in areas where the disease has a history. If your extension says it is a problem in your area, your risk of brining it to the flock is higher, and if you flock does get it, you will have to vaccinate all future chicks. But if you have a fresh flock on fresh land, and under like 100 birds, don't worry about it.

6. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I know some people do vaccinate for various diseases. I'm thinking it might be more of the show breeders. They have a lot of years, hard work and money invested in their stock. They also have their birds going to shows, with more potential for exposure. I don't think most backyard flocks get vaccinated, unless they came from a hatchery.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by