Allen Setter Rooster

romanceballroom2

Hatching
10 Years
May 3, 2009
A few months ago I was "gifted" with a few chickens and roos. The prevoius owner didn't even know what breed most of them were. There is one big, beautiful and very sweet roo. After searching thousands of pictures I think that I have finally identefied his breed. He looks exactly like the picture of the Spangled Allen Setter rooster on Feathersite. Even google searching I can't find any information on the breed other than that they are a fairly new and somewhat rare breed. Does anyone know anything about Allen Setters, ie what breeds they were derived from, breed standards, etc.?
Ashley

Quote:
Allen Setters to my understanding are not so much a breed with a standard. They are the product of one man's mission to create a line of cleanlegged small hens who were absolutely superb setting hens. Therefore you could consider them a "working breed". Color, comb, etc isn't that important, the bottom line is how well they set. Considering The Allen Setters are more of an individual strain in many regards it explains their rarity. Unless you live nearby to the man who made them, or to one who got birds from him, then most likely your birds are just crosses that look like them (afterall, they are basically crossed up too).

I also see this is your first post. Welcome to the BYC!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom