Allergies or coincidence?

farmerJonBrown

In the Brooder
Apr 5, 2015
Macon Ga
I have been keeping my 3 week old quail in a shop that is built in the basement of my home since hatching. For about two weeks my daughter, my wife, and myself have been plagued by sneezing, coughing, runny nose, sore throat. This is typical for my daughter and wife as they have terrible allergies but I have never had a problem in my life. My question is am I potentially causing this by keeping them inside? Is this a coincidence? Has anyone else ever had this happen? I am only keeping quail to provide meat for my family and I am worried I am causing them problems along side it. Any input would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks,
FarmerJonBrown

X2 Chicks put out TONS of dander. And like dog and cat hair, you can be allergic to bird dander. I am too and I will cough and sneeze up a storm! Once you get them outside and they stop all this molting, you will all be fine. It is just that this is all in close quarters, you are leaning over a brooder full of this dander... Outside this will all dissipate and they won't ever molt up a storm like they are now. This is normal! :)

Well my plan was to keep them
In my shop since it is always cool in there but I don't think that is going to happen with all of these issues.

They won't always cause this much dust. Once they are done molting into their adult feathers, there will be little dust. And when they molt later as adults, they won't all molt at the same time and rate either. You could try using an exhaust fan after they are done with all this baby molt. Just an idea...

Back
Top Bottom