Allergies?

-Chanticleer-

Crowing
May 18, 2023
Texas
My Coop
My Coop
Can chickens have allergies? I have two chickens that act like they have allergies. Sneezy and one runny nose. They are not sick these two have been doing this for a couple of weeks. We are surrounded by lots of mature tree that coat everything in pollen. The two that are sneezy have normal poop, eating, drinking and running around. The two chickens are just sneezy 🤷‍♀️. Just wondering if anyone has gone through the same thing.

Do they have open waterers they can dip their beaks and nares in to clean them? Might try getting a toothpick and cleaning their nares out yourself after they've had a day or two of open water to loosen things up. Dirt can get very compacted up in there but it's pretty easy to clean, just hold firmly wrapped in a towel and be careful.

I usually use nipple waterers and they have no access to open water. I found I need to give them a pan of water every few months so they can keep their nares clean.

Sounds like your birds have a respiratory illness though, it's usually that instead of allergies. Hope they continue to act healthy and it eventually becomes asymptomatic.

I’m pretty sure they are not sick. They aren’t exhibiting any symptoms other than sneezing. I do have an open waterer. The two that are sneezy are usually the ones that have lots of dirt on their faces from foraging. They sneak into my garden with raised beds and often come out with black faces 🤦‍♀️. I’ll try to clean their nose. I just thought maybe they had allergies, as there are two trees who are dusting their run/coop in pollen currently.

Back
Top Bottom