Allergy sufferers...Help!!

shelleyd2008

the bird is the word
11 Years
Sep 14, 2008
Adair Co., KY
I suddenly became allergic to eggs about 5 years ago, which has gotten progressively worse over time. I have an incubator, so I do have chicks in the house for a short period of time. The last time I had chicks indoors, I ended up getting bronchitis, which is still not gone. I have been lucky that all my eggs have hatched around the same time as a broody hen's eggs.
My doctor said since I am allergic to eggs, I am probably allergic to chickens as well? Any one heard of this?
Anyway, I now have 3 babies in the house, for lack of a better option. I am going to make a brooder to put out on the covered porch, but don't have the materials yet.
I was just in the room they are in, and holding them, looking at their newly growing feathers and such, and now my eyes are itching me to death!!
Is there anyway to counter this, or am I doomed of a life lived by Claritin?
And I know I shouldn't hold them, or have them inside, but I am wanting to know if there is anything I can do so I will be able to, other than taking allergy meds all the time.
Thanks, Shelley

I would use a mouth/nose mask and eye drops for your eyes, maybe use the eyedrops before you visit the chicks or right after. Step outside and shake out your hair and take a few breaths of fresh air, that can't hurt.

Those babies can bring on a lot of feather dander as they grow, so I would take precautions before you go in there to tend to them.
smile.png

You probably still have to take your prescriptions according to your doc, but google can be a good info friend on meds and preventive care. Good luck.

Quote:
I have allergies too, I am allergic to trees , grass, citrus (the oil in the skins) dust, you name it.
I have allergy eye drops and when I have chicks in the house I sneeze more and my head is congested (I have to assume it is the dust) I am also allergic to hay and Pine (as in shavings) and I have horses.
I do what I can as a precaution and I am managing. I would suspect the dust as the culprit.

The chicks themselves would have dust? I have not had any inside the house that were older than a week, two at most. They only have paper towel as a liner, plus their food.

But like I said, the last time I had chicks in the house, it was only a few days, then I put them with a hen, and I got bronchitis.

swampducks--is your DH able to eat chicken eggs? I was told that a lot of people that are allergic to chicken eggs can eat duck eggs, was just curious if it worked the other way?

Back
Top Bottom