Allo Everyone!!

tech dom

Hatching
6 Years
May 30, 2013
First time here, so introduction time!! My name is Nick, and my wife, Carol, we are here to help not only ourselves, but anyone else, if we can.

We have free-range chickens and ducks, and do pretty much everything by hand, with the cheapest things we can find/buy, heh.

I'm not really sure what else to tell anyone, so if there is any question(s), feel free to ask!!

:)

Hi and Welcome! I actually do have a question for you! Aren't you glad!!! We are about to move our chicken flock to a free range (ish) situation. I say ish because there will be a fence all the way around there yard to help control predators. Our largest predators are hawks and our second opossums and raccoon's. Any advice on predator control? Thanks!

Greetings from Kansas, Nick & Carol, and
welcome-byc.gif
! Pleased you joined us! Lots of frugal poultry keepers on BYC!! Good luck to you and your flock and have fun!!

Hi and Welcome! I actually do have a question for you! Aren't you glad!!! We are about to move our chicken flock to a free range (ish) situation. I say ish because there will be a fence all the way around there yard to help control predators. Our largest predators are hawks and our second opossums and raccoon's. Any advice on predator control? Thanks!

The best way is to control the chickens by keeping them contained in a safe (hardware cloth) enclosure. I know that is at odds with free ranging them. Another method is only let them range when they can be supervised. Still another is to get a guardian - a chicken protecting dog. You can also try to control the predators...but more always take their place.

We have a coop set up on the side of the house for them at night. We also have a ghost tree inside, so they can go in air, and ghost trees are thorny as ...yea, that much, heh. Also, we have ducks on our pond on the other side of the house, and for the predators, we have a few lights mounted to some trunks around the pond. They flash when it goes dark, and are solar-powered. Good for hawks and coyotes. The main predator here is the hawks, as the coyotes don't usually come on-land here. This is a quick reply, so if you have any other questions...feel free to ask! :)

Back
Top Bottom