Allowing hens to lay outside of nesting boxes?

Punkyrooster16

Chirping
May 27, 2021
Does anybody let their free-range hens continue to use their preferred “unofficial” laying spots outside the coop? A few of my hens have started using this nice little spot at the base of a tree, not far from the coop/house. I can totally see the appeal - it’s quiet, safe, sheltered, and private - just away from the business that the normal coop tends to be (though they have nice nesting boxes, there’s just lots of in and out and I can tell they much prefer the quiet).

The spot is easy to collect from, and it looks as though 2 of our new layers are now using it, so it’s not like we have them laying all over the yard, as they are all doing the same thing (I’d probably rethink my strategy if they were using more than one location around the yard).

I know how to get them to start laying in the proper laying boxes, but I’m wondering, do I really have to? I’m really enjoying finding a few eggs there each morning and I feel like it’s just becoming everyone’s happy place. But I’m trying to figure out if there’s other reasons I should really be encouraging them to lay in the coop before I let this one go!

Attachments

• 85222F46-371C-4C3D-A7C6-9F9001FDA6AF.jpeg
    85222F46-371C-4C3D-A7C6-9F9001FDA6AF.jpeg
    417.2 KB · Views: 5
Might leave a few golf balls there so they don't think it is a bad spot since the eggs all disappear. Otherwise, they'll find a new place that maybe you can't find.
This is really good to know! It never occurred to me that they might change spots because the eggs get collected. we once had a hen that would fly into my car window (and once snuck into our house!) to lay eggs, so I should really know better! Really had to crack down on keeping the windows shut after that 😂

Back
Top Bottom