Almost 12 weeks old but no color in combs...

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by debryman, May 7, 2011.

1. debryman

debryman Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2011
    Joshua Tree CA
    Actually, they barely have any combs to speak off. The white leghorns have the most but only about a quarter of an inch at the tallest. I have 2 of each of the following: BO, BA, BR, RIR & White Leghorn. They all are still pink rather than getting red on their combs. They do have a bit of red on their faces and little slivers of waddles are darker too. Is this normal? Should I be feeding them something I'm not? Their feed is 18% grow feed and they range around the yard for several hours daily (but not much green here in the desert) and I also give them greens everyday. Any help, advice or just reassurance that they are fine would be greatly appreciated!

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    They are just fine. The combs, wattles will be nice and red when they are about to start laying eggs. Switch over to layer feed at about 18-20 weeks or when one of them lays her first egg.

3. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    It's still early for them to be developing and turning red. It won't happen until right before they start to lay.

4. MareeZoCool

MareeZoCool Chillin' With My Peeps

I am so glad you posted that question ! I have a pullet - white Plymouth Rock, she's about 3 months old, comb is yellow & some days I think I can see pink starting to show.

5. Domestic_goddess

Domestic_goddess Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2009
    Utah
    Most people cross thier fingers and hope they don't see any red for a while...because that's a sign of a roo at that point! Sounds like you have little pullets and they are probably doing well.

6. debryman

debryman Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2011
    Joshua Tree CA
    Thank you all so much! I thought I was maybe missing some ingredient in their food or something. Glad to know they are normal!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by