Almost 3 month old hen limping

saraellen1179

Hatching
7 Years
May 20, 2012
Our Red Star hen is limping. She is favoring one leg. To me it looks slightly turned at the knee, but I'm not sure, both legs feel the same. She comes out of the coop for a few minutes but then goes back in to lay down (our ground is pretty uneven so it's hard for her to walk). But other than the limping she seems fine. This is our first time having chickens, should we take her to the vet or will this heal? Thanks.

I don't have any advice for you but am dealing with a similar situation. I have a 6 month old lavendar orpington who is limping pretty severely on one leg since yesterday. She is eating and drinking normally but not moving around much with my four other girls. When she walks and puts the injured leg ahead, sometimes (but not consistently) her toes curl under like she forgot to or can't straighten them and she stumbles. When standing at the feeder, she holds it kind of stiffly out in front of her and balances on the other, sometimes falling down. There is no swelling and leg appears straight with no fractures that I can see. I'm concerned she is in pain and I don't know what to do. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom