Almost 4 month old Silkies... pullets or cockerels?

Robin'sBrood

Crowing
12 Years
May 8, 2008
North Carolina
Everyone said it's hard to sex Silkies and boy they weren't kidding! My three, 1 blue and 2 blacks, hatched on Sept. 30. Anyone care to confirm what I suspect we have here? There is one that is really throwing me for a loop and these pics are mainly focused on him(??). Pretty sure the pretty blue is a pullet, and leaning that way on the 2nd black one, too, but I'm the first to admit that I know next to nothing about Silkies! Also, it's really hard to get good pictures of them when they want to hide every time they see my phone. lol
ETA... in the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th pictures I'm talking about the one in the middle. Last pic, it's the one on the left. When my 7 month old Austra White girls came by today they were very interested in him(?) and vice versa. Husband told me tonight that someone was trying to crow on Saturday morning.
tc7.jpg
tc6.jpg
tc5.jpg
tc4.jpg
tc3.jpg
tc2.jpg
tc.jpg

Last edited:
They look like pullets to me. The one you are questioning would be the one I would suspect the most. I see some small wattles, but at 4 mo, a cockerel would have bigger than that. I also dont see the streamers which usually indicates male.

As far as crowing, sometimes in the absence of a roo, the dominant female will take up the mantle and yes, will crow to an extent. It's never quite as loud or long as a roo, but yes, hens can crow. But hopefully, the one you think is a boy, really is and is just being tricky.

They look like pullets to me. The one you are questioning would be the one I would suspect the most. I see some small wattles, but at 4 mo, a cockerel would have bigger than that. I also dont see the streamers which usually indicates male.

As far as crowing, sometimes in the absence of a roo, the dominant female will take up the mantle and yes, will crow to an extent. It's never quite as loud or long as a roo, but yes, hens can crow. But hopefully, the one you think is a boy, really is and is just being tricky.
In my last flock, after all the roosters died off, my 9 year old little Mille Fleur d'Uccle hen started crowing. It was the funniest thing to see and hear her doing that!

Yes...the one with the small wattles and a Mohawk is male.
The second "Mohawk" bird is questionable.
The pom pom is a girl.

Dominant females don't crow as young pullets. That is almost always an older hen who is going through "henopause" and can sometimes get enough androgen hormones to trigger male characteristics.

So I agree 1 male, 1 female, and one wait for it.

LofMc

Back
Top Bottom