Almost 4 years old pullet walking weird

Ganesh-Saahd

Chirping
May 18, 2020
Edit: I'm in Quebec, Canada

Hello!

I went to see the girls today and one of them seems to have an issue that she didn't have yesterday.

It is an almost 4 years old hen (Plymouth Barred rock type), that had many issues in her life (she's blind to begin with, has a missing claw on a toe, last winter she wanted to sleep outside while it was freezing and was very thin. She bounced back and started to lay again. She also had an eye abscess last year, that healed with drops, but the color of that has has changed since). Fast forward today. She had a good summer, she's gain some fat, she foraged all summer and did her chicken thing.

This afternoon, like I said, I went to see them. She was walking SO weird. Almost like crawling? Belly low, almost to the floor. Sometimes cross-legg.

I checked her. No bumble foot, no stuck egg. She's shedding (is it shedding in english, like a dog? It's the same in french) like crazy. She walks a bit and then lay on her belly or her side for a while before walking again.

She's vaccinated against Marek, so it's not that.
Any idea? I'll try to attach a the video to this thread.

I read on a thread that someone had the same kind of issue with one of her shedding hen, but didn't fine any answer.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
She looks like she's walking as if something is on her back. Any dirt, grass, etc. that you could see?

After my chickens have a good dirt/dust bath, the dirt that's on their skin between their feathers makes them walk funny until they've shaken it all out.

It doesn't look super worrisome to me.

She looks like she's walking as if something is on her back. Any dirt, grass, etc. that you could see?

After my chickens have a good dirt/dust bath, the dirt that's on their skin between their feathers makes them walk funny until they've shaken it all out.

It doesn't look super worrisome to me.
Nothing, no. Still walking like this this morning

It is an almost 4 years old hen (Plymouth Barred rock type), that had many issues in her life (she's blind to begin with, has a missing claw on a toe, last winter she wanted to sleep outside while it was freezing and was very thin. She bounced back and started to lay again. She also had an eye abscess last year, that healed with drops, but the color of that has has changed since). Fast forward today. She had a good summer, she's gain some fat, she foraged all summer and did her chicken thing.

This afternoon, like I said, I went to see them. She was walking SO weird. Almost like crawling? Belly low, almost to the floor. Sometimes cross-legg.

I checked her. No bumble foot, no stuck egg. She's shedding (is it shedding in english, like a dog? It's the same in french) like crazy. She walks a bit and then lay on her belly or her side for a while before walking again.

She's vaccinated against Marek, so it's not that.
Any idea?
Molting.. aka shedding is a very challenging time in any birds life.

Marek's vaccine does NOT prevent the disease it just hides the symptoms.. usually seen as slow wasting in older birds.

My first thoughts were possibly internal laying (eyp) or ascites (water belly).. but that video looks different (in addition to other symptoms not being there).. like maybe she's got some feathers poking. I would still want to get a good feel of the abdomen between her legs and make sure it's just standard fat.. not excess squishy.

Nutritionally speaking.. molting is major energy taxing with feathers being made from 90% protein and importantly its' amino acids. If "layer" feed is being used then If it's possible to offer a good quality supplement then it's highly recommended.. Poultry nutri drench is decent, mixes easily with water, and works rapidly (not requiring digestion) for emergency situations (like blocked crop and shipped chicks). Rooster Booster (brand) Poultry Cell (mixed in a little wet food as it separates in water) or Poultry Booster are also excellent choices with a bit more nutrients.. if you're in the US. Otherwise maybe a little mackerel or tuna snack.

Using a starter feed with calcium available on the side for active layers is another good way to get more nutrients (protein and amino acids) into a molting bird if those supplement aren't available to you. Consider adding your general location to your profile as it will help some of us make our best suggestions possible at a glance regarding which resources may or may not be available in your area.

Hope she recovers quickly! :fl

Molting.. aka shedding is a very challenging time in any birds life.

Marek's vaccine does NOT prevent the disease it just hides the symptoms.. usually seen as slow wasting in older birds.

My first thoughts were possibly internal laying (eyp) or ascites (water belly).. but that video looks different (in addition to other symptoms not being there).. like maybe she's got some feathers poking. I would still want to get a good feel of the abdomen between her legs and make sure it's just standard fat.. not excess squishy.

Nutritionally speaking.. molting is major energy taxing with feathers being made from 90% protein and importantly its' amino acids. If "layer" feed is being used then If it's possible to offer a good quality supplement then it's highly recommended.. Poultry nutri drench is decent, mixes easily with water, and works rapidly (not requiring digestion) for emergency situations (like blocked crop and shipped chicks). Rooster Booster (brand) Poultry Cell (mixed in a little wet food as it separates in water) or Poultry Booster are also excellent choices with a bit more nutrients.. if you're in the US. Otherwise maybe a little mackerel or tuna snack.

Using a starter feed with calcium available on the side for active layers is another good way to get more nutrients (protein and amino acids) into a molting bird if those supplement aren't available to you. Consider adding your general location to your profile as it will help some of us make our best suggestions possible at a glance regarding which resources may or may not be available in your area.

Hope she recovers quickly! :fl
Thank you very much for your answer. I'll update my post with my location. I'm in the South of Quebec province, in Canada. Not very far from Vermont.

I checked her again today. Her legs are fine, no bumble foot at all. I checked the cloak area this morning, but I'll get a better look of all the belly tomorrow (it's dark now).

I was looking at her today, I have a feeling that it may be neurological. We'll see.
I agree about the vaccine that doesn't prevent contagion. They were in contact with Marek 2 years ago (1 hen had it, not a reputable breeder, showed signs after quarantine and wasted away). I would say that she had plenty of time to develop anything regarding the disease since then. Would be weird that it's happening now.

She's really molting badly (thank you for the refresher), like other, but she's the worse. She's bald at some places.

I gave them some oatmeal today, with probiotics and supplemental boost it in. I'll try to give them more supplements for the next couple of days. They have a good layer feeds. Still have some starter feed around from this summer. Will supplement with it :)

Thanks again for your advices!

She's molting so this could be the issue.

I'd see to it that she's staying hydrated and eating well. Extra protein is always a good idea.
A bit of buttermilk mixed with feed to make a mash seems to entice my girls during molt.

I'd also get some B-Complex and give her 1/2 tablet daily. It wouldn't hurt to give her one 400IU Vitamin E daily for a week as well.

Update: She's still very much alive. Her feathers are growing and she walks like a normal chicken again.

She was really just weak because of her molt.

Thanks again everyone!

Back
Top Bottom