ALMOST BOILING A CHICK IN EGG!! NEED HELP RAISING!

JustJosiee

In the Brooder
May 13, 2021
I really need help we found out about the chick when our riding instructor gave us fresh eggs we took them home and were boiling them until my mom heard it chirping!!!! She quickly took it off the stove and candlelighted the egg we saw there was a chick in there i just don't know any care for chicks that haven't hatched! I do have a grandma near me that has a few chickens but i don't think she has experience with this bc she would just leave them with a broody hen (her chickens are 8 weeks old she couldn't have chickens at her old house anymore so they took them away) i tried making an incubator it has a plastic bag with holes and a container with paper towels in it and a bowl for humidity all i could find for heating is a reptile lamp! i put it to where the egg wouldn't be touching the light! pls anyone help!

i've never hatched eggs in my life so idk how im supposed to do this, is there supposed to be veins? how do i know if its alive or dead?
If it was in boiling water, it is probably not alive. I think what you are seeing when you candle is a partially hard boiled egg. Your mom may have heard air escaping from the shell from a small crack in the shell.

🤣 Sorry, but this made me laugh. Ony because i have a funny story behind the laugh. Last year for some holiday dinner or bbq (i cant remember which), my mother in law and I were boiling a bunch of eggs for deviled eggs. All of a sudden, we heard lots of chirping. Like baby chick chirping. IT WAS COMING FROM THE BOILING EGGS!! I mean it was very distinct chirping too, and no denying it was coming from the eggs. I quickly scooped one out to investigate. No chick in it. We sit and listened to the rest and while at eye level, i noticed the chirping sound was coming from tiny bubbles comeing either out of the eggs or from underneath the eggs. I sat and watched and the chirping slowed & eventually stopped. Sure enough, when we checked them all when they were done, there were no chicks. The "chirping" was only escaping air...

Last edited:
This makes no sense. There are 4 possibilities here:

1. Your riding instructor is a complete
dope who didn’t realize he had a
broody and took 3 week old eggs that had never left the coop and gave them to you (which also indicates he doesn’t care about the quality or age of the eggs he gives away).

2. Your riding instructor is a sadist, and
did this on purpose.

3. Your riding instructor is Asian and thought you requested balut eggs, the chicken variety.

4. You’re full of excrement....

This makes no sense. There are 4 possibilities here:

1. Your riding instructor is a complete
dope who didn’t realize he had a
broody and took 3 week old eggs that had never left the coop and gave them to you (which also indicates he doesn’t care about the quality or age of the eggs he gives away).

2. Your riding instructor is a sadist, and
did this on purpose.

3. Your riding instructor is Asian and thought you requested balut eggs, the chicken variety.

4. You’re full of excrement....
Semantics.

nope my instructor is very sweet and runs a farm- she most likely didn't know but its fine bc my grandmother has a big chicken coop and a smaller one for chicks.
An egg has to be purposefully incubated. It doesn’t just develop from sitting around unattended... why would she collect a 3 week old egg out of the coop and give it to you? This makes absolutely no sense.

I really need help we found out about the chick when our riding instructor gave us fresh eggs we took them home and were boiling them until my mom heard it chirping!!!! She quickly took it off the stove and candlelighted the egg we saw there was a chick in there i just don't know any care for chicks that haven't hatched! I do have a grandma near me that has a few chickens but i don't think she has experience with this bc she would just leave them with a broody hen (her chickens are 8 weeks old she couldn't have chickens at her old house anymore so they took them away) i tried making an incubator it has a plastic bag with holes and a container with paper towels in it and a bowl for humidity all i could find for heating is a reptile lamp! i put it to where the egg wouldn't be touching the light! pls anyone help!
It doesn't really seem logical that someone would have mixed up an incubated, almost ready to hatch egg with fresh eggs. Could you candle it and take pictures?

Pulling it out of the nest box while the broody was off of it isn’t too hard to do
Have you ever had a broody with almost ready to hatch eggs and not known about it when said broody was in a spot where you normally gather eggs? Or, if you found a hidden nest, would you collect the eggs and give them to someone without knowing how old they were?

Back
Top Bottom