Almost done with my coop

gregblackburn

In the Brooder
Jun 9, 2017
Man this has been way more work than I thought it'd be! I told my wife I'd have it done in a weekend and that was three weeks ago.
coop.jpg

Do you have any other vents other than the window? My concern is if you live in a place that has a cold winter, your coop will have no ventilation if you close that window to keep the breezes out. You need to plan on getting moisture from breathing and pooping out of the coop. In winter, a dry chicken is a warm chicken.

You'll need more vents than that. Chickens make a lot of moisture between breathing and pooping. I read somewhere that said you should have 1 square foot of vent for every chicken. I don't have quite that much. Yes, closing that window is a good idea or there will be a breeze on the birds. It's easy to add vents this time of the year but will be harder if you wait until winter.

I have a 6 by 8 foot coop, two 1' by 3' vents under the eaves, a 2' by 2' vent in the back door that gets no breeze at all, and their pop door which is open year round. The vents are up high, the roost is down low except for the pop door which opens to a run that has the sides covered in clear plastic shower curtains during the winter.

You are very welcome. When I first got chickens it just didn't seem right to have so many vents, however, I decided to listen to the advice of people who had chickens for years. They were right. Got down to -22 F here this winter, colder than normal. None of my girls got frostbite.

By the way, 2 by 4s with the 4 inch side up make great roosts. The chickens can sit on top of their feet and keep them toasty warm.

Looks great. Did you follow plans or design it yourself?
I saw a picture of something kind of close to this in Pinterest, but the plans looked way too complicated so I just winged it. It's worked out for the most part I guess. It's been loads of fun building it.

Back
Top Bottom