1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Almost Done...

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by jason, Sep 26, 2008.

1. jason

jason New Egg

Apr 24, 2007
    Well, I'm getting there... It's finished enough to house the chickens.

The coop has a 10'x8' floor. The front measures 10' high and slopes to 8' in the back. I've put roosts along the 8' wall so they have plenty of space, though I noticed they tend to cluster together. I put sheet shingle on the roof and added a wind turbine for better ventilation.

I still have to finish the trim around the top, paint and add new nesting boxes (external access). Hope to get that done this weekend.

The run is temporary until I can build a larger one. For the temporary one I used a dog kennel that I had lying around.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    [​IMG] Well done. I like it...it looks a lot like my Eggtopia.

3. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

The clustering is probably temporary, Jason, they get flustered at everything new. It helps to give them an extra platform and even a couple of bales of hay to give the illusion of more safety. They like to rummage around and the more you give them to do they more relaxed they'll be. I have a friend who puts elephant bells in her coop because she likes the chiming sound the birds make with them, and she claims she can tell from a distance that all is normal, by listening to the chimes![​IMG]

4. Omran

Omran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    Very beautiful,god I am so abscessed with chicken coops ,i guess I should open my own shop.man every time I come to the net I look and look for coops.

good luck.
    Omran

5. Chicabee19

Chicabee19 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2008
    n/a
    wonderful job Jason! can't wait to see pics of your chickens at home in there. [​IMG]

6. NMbirds

NMbirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2008
    Abiquiu, New Mexico
    Nice pic, Jason. Do send more when finished. Eager to see external nesting boxes affixed. Where? How many chickens do you plan to house? thanks.
    [​IMG]

7. chickenfanatic

chickenfanatic Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    deming new mexico
    looks nice to me hehe:thumbsup

8. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    Nice looking coop, we have the same style roosts

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by