Almost finished with duck pen, now a question.

My juvenilles are out in a seperate fenced enclosure in the middle of the adults. It has a doggie door leading to their barn pen as well. In the barn pens I use straw and I clean it out completely about once a week. I did that this morning - it stunk.

I planted greens a few months ago in the juvenille pen, so they just have grass to run on. There are two kiddie pools out there and I empty them every morning and the grass/greens in that area is very lush. I can't afford NOT to have them forage during the day - otherwise feed would be a fortune.

I haven't had any problems with my ducks and geese ruining my pasture grass.
idunno.gif
There are no bare spots at all. All together there are 10 runners and 10 goslings in that enclosure and it is 45x50. The adults have about an acre and the calls have a 35x45 seperate netted pen. Their grass is so tall now I often can't see them when they are sleeping.

Thanks for everybody replies.

Dixie girl, I also planted ornamental grass around the outside of the pen and it looks nice and the ducks like to hide in the shade of it.

My ducks are really low maintenance, much less work than the chickens. Throw some food in the food trough and water in the kiddie pool and they are set.

We are really enjoying them; I think they are great!

momma's chickens :

My ducks are really low maintenance, much less work than the chickens. Throw some food in the food trough and water in the kiddie pool and they are set.

OMG! your kidding right? they are so messy! and stinky. i've given up on a waterer...they drink nonstop, they're constantly wet. so is whatever they're in. and they turn their water to mud in minutes. no food involved. just beaks. mud. do they regurgitate? even if they can only get their beaks in they soak themselves. and dumb. they just can't figure out the chicken wire, they walk into it and still keep going. chickens are way easier.​

Well I really wasn't kidding. They have their pen and run area, they are happy. I am not sure what you set up is and maybe it is because mine are still young, but I think they are great.

I didn't use chicken wire, we used hog panels, and then covered the whole thing from top to bottom with bird netting and fasten the bird netting to the hog panels with wire ties or zip cords. I have a tarp over part of it and that provides them with shade.

Maybe I am in for a big surprise but I think they are great. I have sand down so mud isn't an issue yet.

Sorry you aren't happy with your ducks! :|

I think my ducks are pretty low maintenance too. I mean I don't look forward to cleaning out the pen or anything - but basically every morning I throw open the doors and every evening I lock them back up.

mine are only 4 weeks old. i'm hoping they get less messy with age.
edit: my work is mostly trying to keep water in front of them, i've given up on it being fresh or not. they drink nonstop.

Last edited:
KierBri, my ducks were a horrible mess when I had them in the brooder. Now that they are in their own pen outside it is much, much easier.
smile.png

Hang in there!!!!

Back
Top Bottom