Almost finished with the chicken tractor

rmansker

In the Brooder
11 Years
Feb 19, 2008
Atlanta GA
Here's my take on the chicken tractor from Organic Gardening. I just made it longer (8') and taller (5') and only enclosed half of it since I only have 4 chickens. I still have to stain and cover the lower door with mesh and make the ramp for them to get in. I also will cover the rest of the upper half with chicken wire. There is a door on the back to access the nest box, and the top third of the triangle ends fold down and are covered with hardware cloth to provide ventilation. The side lifts up so it can be cleaned out easily.

This is intended to be it's permanent location, although it could be moved if necessary. I stained it with a dark redwood deck stain so it wouldn't stand out and would blend in with the kids playfort. Unfortunately for me, I live in a county that doesn't allow chickens on a lot of less than two acres. So I have to keep my subversive chicken raising activiteis hidden. At least my neighbors are all cool with it. Hopefully passing along some eggs to them will keep them that way.

IMG_2618.jpg

IMG_2617.jpg

IMG_2615.jpg

I've spent about $240 on it. Unfortunately I had to buy all new wood and hardware except for screws and nails. Not a lot of building going on these days to scavenge scrap lumber from, and nothing turned up on Freecycle or Craigslist either.

Looks great. You did quite a nice job. I agree that the redwood stain was a nice touch to prevent it from standing out in the neighborhood. I believe your hens will be very happy!

Tim

Honest, Mr. Code Enforcment man, it's really just a small playfort for the kids! The sqwaking noises are just my kids being goofy!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom