Almost scared of my own yard...

I suppose this is what I'll do for the time being. You just can't take risks with the little ones. Haven't seen the cat since, though we did catch him on our game cam. As long as all he is doing is killing wild birds, he is welcome. He was here first.

Regards,
Leaf

Yes, you can't take risks with little kids around. The cat may have moved on now.

Wishes,
Dianacatz

Do as you wish but as for me I would advise you to relocate that bobcat in close proximity to your chicken coop. Like on your den wall or on top of a what-no table.

I don't own any chickens right now, so I'm mostly worried about our new quail and pond, which are relatively safe. This bobcat's been roaming the neighborhood for years now, and hasn't caused any trouble yet. If I does though, I'm sure it will be taken care of quickly, whether by residents or AC. Thank you for the concerns though. I do value humans over animals and wouldn't hesitate to do what was neccassary to protect children or even adults. The game cam was farther off in the property, so not too close to the house or animals, or else I'd be worried. The children rarely go out at night, and the dog stays inside unless on leash to prevent disasters. I see where you are coming from though. It is a wild animal, and a predator, and needs to be treated as such. If it becomes a problem, it will not be relocated, period. Fish and Game may take care of it if it causes trouble, or more drastic measures may need to be taken. Luckily we haven't hatched out our new batch of quail, and it will take a while for them to come to a stage where they can be outside, so in the meantime, perhaps the cat will move on. We plan to set up electric fencing around the quail pen if this cat shows too much interest. We might need it for the coons anyway, though our animals have been safe in the past.

Regards,
Leaf

I live with coyote and bear every day. Raise chickens here too. The bees didn't make it last year but will try again this spring with a fence and electric strands on it. A bear broke some stick timber on my grow out run but due to a light design for portability it couldn't actually use strength on it. The run kept sliding away instead of crushing. We bring feed inside every night now. You can be afraid of nature or learn to live in it. Not lost one bird to predators here. Soon have bear proof apiary too. Don't get me started about the Fisher Cats...nasty critters.

I live with coyote and bear every day. Raise chickens here too. The bees didn't make it last year but will try again this spring with a fence and electric strands on it. A bear broke some stick timber on my grow out run but due to a light design for portability it couldn't actually use strength on it. The run kept sliding away instead of crushing. We bring feed inside every night now. You can be afraid of nature or learn to live in it. Not lost one bird to predators here. Soon have bear proof apiary too. Don't get me started about the Fisher Cats...nasty critters.

funny I find this thread went out this morning just to take pictures of the snow . and to look for tracks . found Bobcat tracks less than a hundred yards from the house . haven't seen one here in years although I figured they have been around . wouldn't worry to much about a Bobcat they will come close and hunt birds. but rarely ever come into contact with people . all my coops and runs are covered . coyotes are here too. We see them a lot . the Quail however are in danger and the cat has a mighty leap we have a lot of wild bobwhite here and they seem to be doing ok . motion sensors hooked to water sprayers will scare the cat away also bright lights hooked to the sensors . there a lot of ways to deal with predators that don't involve guns. caught in the act I would kill it . but that's me

Been trying to live with the local wildlife and haven't lost any animals yet unless a couple of fish were nabbed from the pond. And this is with a very large family of raccoons, a bobcat, and coyotes constantly moving through the main yard. But bears.... Just glad we don't have them here.

Regards,
Leaf

If the cat has done nothing but come back then I think you should leave him alone. If he comes closer or shows signs of aggressiveness, then you should think about relocating him.

Wishes,
Diana

I'd get a wildlife rehabber to take him to a reserve, not relocate. It is torturous for the animals, as they are moved to a new area with no way to easily find food. They have no mate with them, and if they have kits, they cannot feed them. If you relocate close by, they will return. I am not taking action yet. The cat seems to be staying away from the house, and humans are the most important in this situation. If I lose an animal, then I will definitely deal with this threat. If the cat keeps away, there should be no problems coexisting. Losing an animal is better, IMHO, then killing a wild, native creature when we have moved in on them. That said, I won't hesitate to take action if the bob bothers my animals or any humans. Children, and adults, come first.

Regards,
Leaf

I'd get a wildlife rehabber to take him to a reserve, not relocate. It is torturous for the animals, as they are moved to a new area with no way to easily find food. They have no mate with them, and if they have kits, they cannot feed them. If you relocate close by, they will return. I am not taking action yet. The cat seems to be staying away from the house, and humans are the most important in this situation. If I lose an animal, then I will definitely deal with this threat. If the cat keeps away, there should be no problems coexisting. Losing an animal is better, IMHO, then killing a wild, native creature when we have moved in on them. That said, I won't hesitate to take action if the bob bothers my animals or any humans. Children, and adults, come first.

Regards,
Leaf

Yes I think the safety of humans come before but rehabbing will be very stressful to the animals. You are doing the right choice for now I think.

Wishes,
Diana

Back
Top Bottom