Almost there!

Momtomtse

In the Brooder
10 Years
May 11, 2009
Hi all, we're only 10 days away from picking up our first batch of babies
smile.png
It's going to be a long drive home (about 5 hours), so my question is: What is the best way to drive that long with day-olds??? Will they be fine in a cardboard box? Or should I try to find a cat carrier or something like that? Should I try to give them water before we head off or can that wait until they're at home in the brooder? I don't know! Any tips would be appreciated! So excited!!!!

Quote:
They will be just fine in a cardboard box and without water. Just make sure you give them feed and water when you get home. Day old chicks still are feeding from the yolk sac so they are fine. Show us pics when you get home with them!!!

welcome-byc.gif

Last edited:
You're chicks will do fine in a cardboard box and without water. Ours lasted two days going cross country via the postal service during a late spring blizzard without any food or water. We were freaking out, convinced they would be dead - but they were fine. My only advice is to make sure they all drink water and eat when you get them home. We didn't take any chances and just taught them to drink (by gently dipping their heads in water) By the way - congratulations! Can't wait to see some pics!

when we got our babies, we drove two hours to Larksburg, KY, and we put our 3 day old chicks in a cardboard box and i set them on my lap. so they should be okay in a cardboard box :]

Thanks for the tips , I'll go box-hunting tomorrow
big_smile.png
Oh, I can't wait! I'll post pictures of my cuties asap.

how many are you getting? if you are getting several, they will keep eachother warm, otherwise I would bring a hot water bottle (covered with a towel so as not to burn them) to keep in one corner of the box.
Have Fun! I miss baby chicks- my big girls are growing so fast (almost 5 weeks old already!)

Back
Top Bottom