Brooder set up suggestions

Masekhomestead

In the Brooder
Dec 27, 2023
We plan on getting 20 (buckeye!) day old chicks mailed to us shortly. I have been trying to figure out what the best option is for a brooder. I found an galvanized garden bed 8x4x2 with a cover on Amazon (https://a.co/d/e9kjizP) but I'm worried that will be too small for 20 chicks when they are 4, 5, or 6 weeks old. My parents in law just used a cardboard box for their 7 chicks but said it was terrible to clean. I'm not trying to break the bank on what to put them in as I hope this will be a one time thing since Buckeyes will go broody and raise their own.

I also am leaning towards a brooder heat plate vs heat lamp but do I still need to provide them with some kind of light?

Our coop should be finished this weekend so we are wanting to get them as soon as possible.

If your coop is going to be ready, then brood them directly inside the coop. If the coop is large, you can always use cardboard or some other type of barrier to coral them into a smaller area.

For me, I'd use a heat plate or Mama heating pad. For 20 chicks, you may need 2 heating plates or 2 heating pad systems. Lamps are cheaper, but they can be a fire hazard.

If your coop is going to be ready, then brood them directly inside the coop. If the coop is large, you can always use cardboard or some other type of barrier to coral them into a smaller area.

For me, I'd use a heat plate or Mama heating pad. For 20 chicks, you may need 2 heating plates or 2 heating pad systems. Lamps are cheaper, but they can be a fire hazard.
Will heat plates be enough if temps are pretty low at night (tomorrow low 13 but next 10 days is 28-39s)? Can those run on an extension cord for long periods? Our coop has a large window so in that case we wouldn't need any additional lighting right?

That 13 is low, some heat plates are recommended for 50 or above. Momma heat pad would work you would need two for that many. I use heat lamps but as stated they have to be secured and used correctly. It would be easy to brood in coop especially since there is no adult birds to deal with.

13 is a bit chilly. The lowest temps I've brooded outside with a heating pad and plate was around 19-20 degrees. I was happier with the heating pad "cave" at those temps over the plate.

They would need additional heat at night with 13F for sure, so a heat lamp at night would give that extra heat, but for daytime the plate(s) should be fine when the temps get warmer.

I'm just leery of heating lamps. My very first chicks I did use a lamp inside my coop but I had it secured very well (Hubs is an Electrician, so he was VERY picky over that lamp and did extra things to make it more safe). After that I went to heating pads which are great, but I also have brooder plates.

We plan on getting 20 (buckeye!) day old chicks mailed to us shortly. I have been trying to figure out what the best option is for a brooder. I found an galvanized garden bed 8x4x2 with a cover on Amazon (https://a.co/d/e9kjizP) but I'm worried that will be too small for 20 chicks when they are 4, 5, or 6 weeks old. My parents in law just used a cardboard box for their 7 chicks but said it was terrible to clean. I'm not trying to break the bank on what to put them in as I hope this will be a one time thing since Buckeyes will go broody and raise their own.
The garden bed would work but it's rather expensive for a one time thing (although if you plan on using it as a garden bed afterwards, then that'd be a win-win!) If you are NOT wanting a new garden bed, then consider splitting the batch up into 2 groups and then you can use cardboard boxes for a cheaper option, with the intention of reuniting them in the coop once they're a little older, like around 3-4 weeks old, depending on temperatures. Young chicks should have no problem integrating with one another.

Due to your temperatures if you wanted to strictly brood out in the coop I would recommended using heat lamps, or 2 plates/2 MHP + a heat lamp strictly to bring up ambient temperature to around 50F (especially if using a plate with a recommendation of 50+). Or you can get them started indoors/in the garage, and then move them out to the coop in a couple of weeks when they're a bit hardier with less need for heat, and hopefully temperatures will be a bit more stable then.

Back
Top Bottom