Ducklings and heat plate

Ordinaryginger

Hatching
Feb 5, 2024
I just picked up some ducklings Monday for the first time. My chicks come Friday! I was originally using a heat lamp for the ducklings but I struggled with getting the correct heat (too hot) with my step up and brooder option for raising the lamp. I switched them to a heat plate this morning. They spent time under the heat plate throughout the day but not a ton. This evening we spent some time with them and then for the last couple hours they have been laying in the middle of the brooder. They’re quiet so I’m assuming they’re not cold or distressed. The temp overall is 68* but under the plate it’s around 80* despite the heat plate saying it’s over 100*. This is our second night with them. Are they ok if they don’t use the heat that much? Thanks!

Attachments

• B5ABF00D-5B81-4232-B4F6-4D61B9DBC8CE.jpeg
    B5ABF00D-5B81-4232-B4F6-4D61B9DBC8CE.jpeg
    555.5 KB · Views: 25
If you feel their feet and beaks do they feel warm or cold?
I would not be to worried if they are not using it
I have not used a heat plate before but have read that they are very good but when I use a heat lamp they will sit under it if they are cold or near the edge or not under it when they are hot
But when they are snugled together they will be getting warmth from eachother
Good luck with your babies, they are so cute :love
I have duck eggs in the incubator and they still have ages to go ugh I want them now :lau

If they are active, eating, drinking and don't seem upset, I would say they're doing just fine. If they're cold they WILL tell you about it. I don't have ducks, but this is my second year using a heat plate with chicks and they do very well with it. Just listen to your flock and you'll be fine

Back
Top Bottom