almost time!!!!!

xxnativewolfxx

Chirping
6 Years
Feb 23, 2013
central PA
well my emus are due to hatch on the 27th and it is the 16th! I know its still a lil bit away but im so excite but I had some last minute questions about what to do with them when there hatchlings AND what to feed them! would it be ok just to feed them chick starter cuz ive read you need EMU chick starter but where I live there is no such thing!! and suggestions?

well my emus are due to hatch on the 27th and it is the 16th! I know its still a lil bit away but im so excite but I had some last minute questions about what to do with them when there hatchlings AND what to feed them! would it be ok just to feed them chick starter cuz ive read you need EMU chick starter but where I live there is no such thing!! and suggestions?

we use chopped greens (collard greens and kale) for the first week mixed with a bit of chick starter (chicken chick not emu chick) and layer crumbles (emu chicks need the extra calcium)

after the first week we start adding in layer pellets and rabbit pellets and decrease the chick starter and layer crumbles

also remember the first day or two they won't eat but may peck at the food.. they still have a large yolk to deal with!

You may also want to add a bit of chopped greens to the top of their water to encourage them to peck at it .. chicks that lose too much weight during incubation will benfeit from a drink of water soon after hatch with electrolytes added in since they will be a bit dehydrated.

Interesting! Thanks for the info about the feed. I had also been wondering a bit on what we were going to feed them but I have all of these on hand.

I guess they need heat too. Is it the same ad for chickens? 90 to start with then decrease by 5-10?
Thanks!

Interesting! Thanks for the info about the feed. I had also been wondering a bit on what we were going to feed them but I have all of these on hand.

I guess they need heat too. Is it the same ad for chickens? 90 to start with then decrease by 5-10?
Thanks!

They don't need as much warmth as chicks do.. yes you still need to provide them with heat.. but usually within the first few days we take ours outside of their brooder for some fresh air and sunshine (for a few minutes at a time).. even if there is a bit of snow on the ground.. just watch them for any signs that they are getting cold and offer heat as needed...
like chicks.. they will fuss if things aren't to their liking.. so just pay attention and give them what they need to keep comfortable

well everybody it is now the 31st and they were due the 27th.............soo idk! I don't thin they are going to hatch =[ owell I guess better luck next year!!!! unless there is a miracle and there just late!

well everybody it is now the 31st and they were due the 27th.............soo idk! I don't thin they are going to hatch =[ owell I guess better luck next year!!!! unless there is a miracle and there just late!
Where are you from? Why not just buy more Emu eggs while everyone's birds are laying?

Back
Top Bottom