aloe vera on chick bum?

Autumn Mama

Songster
10 Years
Mar 15, 2009
British Columbia,
Hi all,

My 4 day old BLRW has been battling pastey-butt.

Now the bum area is raw and the chick is pecking at itself.

It passes poop and is eating and drinking, though less than previous.

The vent area looks swollen and slightly disdended, and I've got some organic aloe vera gel on hand, and wondered if a little dipped on it's bum would soothe and hopefully heal it? I'm thinking a raw bum has got to hurt.
sad.png

Thoughts or experience with using aloe vera gel?

BTW, avg is *wonderful* for other purposes, like digestion etc., so I'm not worried about the chick ingesting it, as I would be with chemically-laden drugstore stuff, ie polysporin....

Are those safe for a chick to eat?

The chick is picking it's bum and may ingest whatever's there.

If possible I'm looking for more natural possibilities, however if you have personally had a chick eat this (neosporin/Blu-kote) and was okay, that would help me feel more informed to choose.

Edited to Add: the Aloe vera gel *would be* topically applied...

Last edited:
Aloe is rarely a bad thing. It's very soothing. But if you want to try something else, Prep H is also awesome - it's purpose was originally to help ease the pain and inflamation of a sore butt! Would be good to find the cause, though. Also, soaking in warm water and wiping with a clean piece of on old t-shird should be infinately more comfortable than "ripping"!

Last edited:
I'm fairly certain the cause was a handler at the local Co-Op (where I ordered them) "ripping off the pasty-butt poo like removing a bandaid".
ep.gif

This was how she explained how to do it, to me, should I need to. She went on to explain that, "some fluff will come off the skin too, and then poo won't stick to it anymore." OUCH!
th.gif

I noticed this chick's bum was red and disdended a little upon arrival home. Some in their brooder had pasty bottoms too. They had a few like that. Normal, I guess, considering their travel from across the country into British Columbia. That's where I live.
smile.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom