Peafowl 103: Illness, Injury, Medication and Care (in progress)

Thankyou for your help. They are on medicated game bird starter. Do you still recommend the other medication?
They can sometimes reach a tall piece of grass through their cage but cannot contact dirt directly. I have some smooth, clean, debarked limbs in their cage to roost on. I also have DE under their shavings in their house ever since the lice episode. I know it can be a respiratory irritator but I figured that keeping the lice away was pretty important. As you can tell, I'm brand new to these guys so any info is appreciated. Thanks again!

Thankyou for your help. They are on medicated game bird starter. Do you still recommend the other medication?
They can sometimes reach a tall piece of grass through their cage but cannot contact dirt directly. I have some smooth, clean, debarked limbs in their cage to roost on. I also have DE under their shavings in their house ever since the lice episode. I know it can be a respiratory irritator but I figured that keeping the lice away was pretty important. As you can tell, I'm brand new to these guys so any info is appreciated. Thanks again!
Two applications of Ivermec pour on at ten days apart will take care of the lice. Divide about 0.25 ml on the skin between the shoulders and above the butt fluff and a tiny drop on the crest. For mature birds use 0.50ml. Do this twice and the lice will be gone for a long time, there is no need for DE which could be the irritant that your birds are suffering from. I have yet to see any scientific data that shows DE to be effective on anything other than slugs.

The lice are at bay for now, but I will use ivermectin if they come back. I'll do a clean out of their bed and see if the sneezing stops. Thanks so much!

I'm back with another question!
My peas are almost 3 months and doing great! I'm considering putting them in the ground soon and have some more worming questions. I've read about safeguard for goats and ivomectin. Can I give them at the same time, twice yearly? Seems like everybody dies something different. Do i wait until they have been on the ground for a while or worm beforehand?

I'm back with another question!
My peas are almost 3 months and doing great! I'm considering putting them in the ground soon and have some more worming questions. I've read about safeguard for goats and ivomectin. Can I give them at the same time, twice yearly? Seems like everybody dies something different. Do i wait until they have been on the ground for a while or worm beforehand?
No need to try to kill worms that are not present. The biggest hurdle you are going to have is cocci first then worms. Give them Sulfadimethoxine every third week until the end of the year. Worming should start on the fourth week after being on the ground and again in ten days. It may be a good idea to deworm a couple of times until hard freeze sets in.

I have peachicks they grow very well but I noticed that one peachick bloom their neck I want to know that is it a problem or illness guide m experts I am beginner to raise peachicks.these are pictures of peachick. IMG_20170910_001041.jpg IMG_20170910_001015.jpg IMG_20170910_001000.jpg

Hi, thanks for providing all this information! I have a baby peacock that is about 1.5 months old, he is not walking and having respiratory problems, first it seem that he hurt his right leg and was limping a bit, but then the next day he could not stand up at all, he can move his head and wings but his feet are not strong, if I lift him and take the weight off his legs then he can move them and try to talk, nothing is broken just not able to stand, seem he may have worms, I have tylan 200 but not sure how much to give him, it say in your article 1cc I think, but is this for an adult peacock or for baby? I also want to deworm him and have wazine that I use for my chickens but not sure what dosage to give him, please advise, it's been 3 days of no sleep or rest since I have to be hand feeding him every 2 hours or so, he drinks on his own and pick at his dry food but we need to put it close to his face for him to get it, it is very painful to see him like this, he was strong and happy and suddenly one day he can not walk any more :-(

Back
Top Bottom