Aloha from Hawaii

rezentes

Hatching
6 Years
Dec 5, 2013
Hello All,

I am in the process of building my first chicken tractor and buy my first hens. Living in Hawaii, I did not realize the limited access to pullets. I have been reading up on the pros/cons of the various chicken breeds and talking to some people here that have some experience in raising hens. At this point, I intend to start with 4 hens and am considering either Rhode Island Red's or possibly Red Stars. Any suggestions or advise on the following:
1) Hatcheries/farms that sell pullets and ship to Hawaii?
2) Any experience with RIR's and Red Star's that can help my decision.

I don't want a flighty breed and I am looking mainly at good egg layers. Also a healthy breed that would be suitable to a rookie like me and easier to maintain.

Thanks for any advice!!!!

welcome-byc.gif

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Of the two I like the Red Stars better, ime they lay better and have a better temperament than the RIR, especially if you are going to have mixed breed flocks. I believe McMurray hatchery ships started pullets and 4 week olds to HI, they do have Red Stars, I have really liked theirs. http://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/index.html Most of the hatchery production breeds are bred to produce a lot of eggs the first two or years or so and then be replaced, so they lay tons of eggs the first couple of years, but are more susceptible to reproductive problems then heritage breeds or breeds that don't lay as well, as they age. There are a lot of reviews of various commercial red sex links and RIR on the BYC Breeds section, there is a big difference between the hatchery or more production RIR and the show or heritage RIR though so double check which people are reviewing.

Thanks for the good information and all the welcomes!!!!!

Appreciate it

Aloha

Back
Top Bottom