Aloha from Oahu

RebelChief

Songster
6 Years
Mar 7, 2014
Brownsville, TX
Hi all from the land of wild chickens. I'm in the research phase of my plan to have chickens for fresh eggs. We will be moving to NW Washington in Dec. I have a house on 1/2 acre and have plenty of room. My backyard is about half of the property and it's surrounded with 6ft privacy fence so I want to let them free range part of the day. I do worry about eagles though.

Plan to have 8-10 hens.

A little about me. I'm a retired Navy Chief (22 yrs service) and a relatively new Navy wife. Met my husband in San Diego after I retired and we got married and moved here to Hawaii. We've been here almost 6 years. My kids are grown. I have a 25 yo daughter living where we are about to get transferred to and my 21 yo son is now serving his country in the Army. Hubby and I share two fur babies, Zack and Zoey, brother and sister Chihuahuas. Going to be fun seeing them with chickens.

Looking forward to absorbing all I can from everyone.

Reb

Last edited:
welcome-byc.gif
My brother has been to Hawaii several times and visited various islands. He took pictures of some of the wild chickens at my request. Sadly the closest I've come to Hawaii is my IZ cd and t-shirt. But, I do treasure them.

I'm a little confused, is your present home 1/2 acre or are you describing your future home in Washington?

About the best protection from eagles and hawks is an enclosed run with a top to keep them from dropping in. I know the raptors can swoop down and nail a chicken within feet of their people, they are bold as brass. They must be aware that it is a federal offense to injure/kill them and flaunt that attitude every chance they get.

Hope you will enjoy Washington I know the climate is much different than Hawaii.

PS you can connect with Washingtonians by locating their thread at "where am I, where are you," in the social forum.

Last edited:
My home in WA is on a 1/2 acre lot. Here in Hawaii we live in military housing with a 10x10 yard.

Kauai is crazy with the wild chickens. We have them here on Oahu as well but not like there.

I'm looking forward to getting back there and having a garden and chickens. I've already got a brooder box and lights. Also some nesting boxes. Got them second hand. My poor daughter who is living in my house has to keep accepting delivery of all my purchases. Trying to collect things a little at a time while I'm still employed. Joy of being a military spouse, leaving a good job to go where Uncle Sam sends you. This is our last move so I'm ok with it.

Thanks for the suggestions on the run. Definitely in the plans.

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Thank you for you and your families service, good luck with your new chicken project!

Back
Top Bottom