Aloha - Orpingtons

Honukane

In the Brooder
May 21, 2015
Kaneohe, Oahu, Hawaii
I reside in Hawaii and recently finished building a chicken coop in my backyard. I devoted a lot of time researching breeds on the internet that would be compatible with living in close proximity with our neighbors. We then went to the local feed store and asked questions about availability of Orpingtons and the owner indicated he had never heard of this breed in his 42 years of doing business. He took out a breed chart from under the counter and found an example. With a friendly smile he got on the phone and called another feed store and they had just received a shipment of Orpington chicks. (BTW, great customer service and now I buy my feed and accessories from him.) They indicated that the sexed chicks (females) go like wildfire within a few days and that they import them twice a year. So we rushed over to this place and purchased 6 OP chicks and took them home. Placed them in a cage and feverishly built the coop with my brother's assistance who just happen to be visiting from the mainland U.S., and my family who helped paint the structure; it was a family project with gratifying returns. I had previously completed the foundation and the coop was a lean-to construction off of my shed, so it was quickly erected and completed in a few days. OP are now a couple of months old and enjoying their new home and we are happy with their gentle disposition. My wife has named all of them, and I specifically have my favorites - Olivia and Rosey. I hope to learn more about raising backyard chickens, that is, for eggs only
smile.png

8 inch of compost bottom with introduced earthworms, covered
by welded wire, and hay over this.

Entrance. PVC framed ramp, with plastic coated welded wire.

Repurposed cedar and douglas fur lumber.

The coop was constructed is on the left side of my tool shed

They are doing well

Last edited:
Aloha and
welcome-byc.gif

We're glad you decided to join Backyard Chickens!
frow.gif

Make yourself at home and here, Feel free to ask an any questions you may have.
ya.gif

Have fun with your flock!
D.gif

Aloha, and welcome to BYC. Glad you decided join our flock. I live in Hawaii as well and have some Buff Orpingtons in my flock which I purchased as chicks from Ideal Poultry in Cameron, TX (they are one of the few mainland hatcheries that ships chicks to Hawaii). BOs are a wonderful breed. I've raised them for years and they are hardy, friendly and gentle (my children and granddaughter made lap pets of them), and good layers of large, brown eggs. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck wi' da flock.

Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

I enjoyed your customer service story, it's places like that I like to do business with too. You have a nice set up for your flock (and a beautiful yard!).

It's good to have you here and if you have any questions, feel free to ask!

Back
Top Bottom