Aloha - Orpingtons

Okay folks, here's a concern I have? I would like my BO to forage in my yard. The area where their coop is located has a CMU wall 5 foot tall on one side and a 4 foot chain link on another side that borders my neighbors' properties. Will I need to clip their flight feathers on one wing to refrain them from flying over and into my neighbors' yard?

Okay folks, here's a concern I have? I would like my BO to forage in my yard. The area where their coop is located has a CMU wall 5 foot tall on one side and a 4 foot chain link on another side that borders my neighbors' properties. Will I need to clip their flight feathers on one wing to refrain them from flying over and into my neighbors' yard?

Yes, you will need to clip one wing. While BOs are not great flyers, unclipped they will have no problem getting over a four foot chain link fence.

I reside in Hawaii and recently finished building a chicken coop in my backyard. I devoted a lot of time researching breeds on the internet that would be compatible with living in close proximity with our neighbors. We then went to the local feed store and asked questions about availability of Orpingtons and the owner indicated he had never heard of this breed in his 42 years of doing business. He took out a breed chart from under the counter and found an example. With a friendly smile he got on the phone and called another feed store and they had just received a shipment of Orpington chicks. (BTW, great customer service and now I buy my feed and accessories from him.) They indicated that the sexed chicks (females) go like wildfire within a few days and that they import them twice a year. So we rushed over to this place and purchased 6 OP chicks and took them home. Placed them in a cage and feverishly built the coop with my brother's assistance who just happen to be visiting from the mainland U.S., and my family who helped paint the structure; it was a family project with gratifying returns. I had previously completed the foundation and the coop was a lean-to construction off of my shed, so it was quickly erected and completed in a few days. OP are now a couple of months old and enjoying their new home and we are happy with their gentle disposition. My wife has named all of them, and I specifically have my favorites - Olivia and Rosey. I hope to learn more about raising backyard chickens, that is, for eggs only
smile.png

8 inch of compost bottom with introduced earthworms, covered
by welded wire, and hay over this.

Entrance. PVC framed ramp, with plastic coated welded wire.

Repurposed cedar and douglas fur lumber.

The coop was constructed is on the left side of my tool shed

They are doing well
welcome-byc.gif
Welcome to BYC!!
welcome-byc.gif

I'm glad you joined the flock!!
wee.gif

Many adventures await you and your flock. If you have any questions, feel free to ask around!!
big_smile.png

D.gif
jumpy.gif
-Turkenstein25
jumpy.gif
D.gif

Aloha!!! Mahalo for joining the BYC flock! Which island do you live on? (I'm very interested with Hawaii)

Hello!

Welcome to BYC and the coop! There's a lot of great peeps here! Feel free to ask lots of questions. But most of all, make yourself at home. I'm so glad you decided to join the BYC family. I look forward to seeing you around BYC. :frow Beautiful coop and happy girls. All great pictures!

An update of our chickens. All six are banded and my wife has bestowed names; Olivia, Rosey, Sky, Amber, Crystal, Coco. I noticed they are getting scabs on their crest and beak and after search BYC, I've concluded that our birds have contracted Avian Pox. I have had the opportunity to see how devasting this virus can be on Midway Island which can affect an Albatross' entire body and respiratory system to the extent that the bird will succumb to this horrible disease. Had I known ahead that this was prevalent and a vaccine available, I would have vaccinated our birds when I purchased them as chicks. Too late now. The virus must run its course. Anyone have any helpful suggestions? I have been swabbing the scabs with Betadine as a precaution against infections. Since it is a virus there is nothing that can be done to control or abate the disease once the bird contracts the virus. Mosquitoes are the vector and since we live in a tropical setting, the blood sucking insects are part of our everyday life. The disease is not contagious for humans. Unfortunately, on the side, we've had a new people disease that has hit the islands, Chikungunya which is contagious to humans and also spread by mosquitoes. We have had 9 cases thus far.

Regardless of the Avian Pox, the birds are doing well and they are alert and active. I have been supplementing their diet with table scraps which they go crazy for this special treat. Someone stopped by and brought us a box of mountain apples (Syzygium malaccense) to feed our redfoot tortoises and the BO were all over the scattered fruits gorging themselves in a frenzy.

Once the birds were acclimated to their coop, they have since been let out of their coop and foraging in the yard. Their first outing was like watching little kids on their first outdoor excursion. They were simply mesmerized by everything, but cautious, and started pecking on the dirt, grass, and stones. After awhile scratching instinct took over and play-chasing ensued. This was uniquely entertaining and someone on BYC coined the phrase perfectly - "Chicken TV."

@Honukane , a couple days ago I got a copy of Rob Ludlow's book, "Chicken Health for Dummies" so I looked up the fowl pox info in it.

Here are some of the parts that may help you:
* There are 2 forms of pox, wet & dry (it sounds as though your birds have the dry form). The dry form is milder and more common than the wet.
* You can vaccinate even though your birds are obviously past the new chick age, it will help control outbreaks and you can vaccinate twice a year since you live in an area with mosquitoes year-round.
* Put antibiotics in their drinking water, Tetracycline is recommended.
* You're already swabbing so that's good.

Hope that helps.

Back
Top Bottom