Aloha! Trying to raise 'quiet' chickens :-)

rmasimpson

Chirping
7 Years
Apr 29, 2013
Anson County, North Carolina
Aloha! I am on the island of Oahu and have recently gotten back into having laying hens. I am in a residential area and have had up to three hens at a time but eventually had to get rid of them because they were very 'vocal' when announcing their eggs. ( I have not had roos) In our community, most people have open louvers with screened windows. Houses are close together, so every noise is heard. Since I only have a few hens at a time, I don't have enough eggs to offer all my neighbors to 'appease' them. Anyway, I have been pretty happy with my two adult Ameracaunas. We rarely hear them. I had to get rid of a Rhode Island Red recently that I purchased with the other two.
sad.png
I am trying Barred Rock and Cuckoo Marans also which I read can be quieter breeds.

I love all the info, pics and encouragement I have had already from this forum. Thanks!

cstronks

Songster
Mar 12, 2013
New Jersey
Welcome to BYC!!! I LOVE HAWAII!! Aloha from NJ!! If you are looking for quieter breeds, definitely look into Buff Orpingtons. I wanted to rather quiet and mellow bird, and Buffs are absolutely perfect. They barely even make a racket when they lay! They are also an excellent production bird and will lay consistently. Good lucky to you!

my sunwolf

Songster
7 Years
Apr 22, 2012
Southwest Virginia
My Coop
My Coop
Welcome to BYC!!

Stay away from production birds for sure! Reds of any sort. I agree that Buffs are often nice and quiet, but my experience with Barreds is that they can go either way. No experience with Marans. I wish you the best of luck with your quiet chickens.

Top Bottom